Our partner

Emotional trauma, need some help here

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.
*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

Emotional trauma, need some help here

Postby Ubinix800 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:48 pm

Hi, not sure where to start but I'll try to keep this short, I feel it's time to ask for some other help on this forum, so I'll give it my best shot:

So for the past year or so, on and off I've been going through a very hellish time of feeling psychologically traumatized, which is hard to describe but for anyone who has felt the same they know what it feels like. In my normal state, I either feel that horrible feeling in my brain, or I feel it in my solar plexus like my emotions are just going to shake up, turn over and die, my body starts to shake, I dissociate and honestly it's the most awful feeling ever, it just is, it feels like I'm going to have a mental breakdown. Other times, due to stress hormones (I think?), my body becomes very hot, like my feet are burning, and my brain has at times felt like it's on fire, or my emotions feel permanently damaged. I can think of nothing worse that's happened in my life than that. I feel "frozen" most of the time, which I guess is my body's way of keeping everything under wraps, and when I'm in that state I usually feel okay, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't mean I'm cured.

Slowly but surely the feeling went away with some TRE, and other stuff but it still comes back, presumably because my brain is apparently still traumatized. This isn't like PTSD due to one bad experience, I think it's due to bullying or something, or it's just built up over time, I'm not sure. Not due to bad upbringing or whatever as it's "only" been the past year.

TL;DR --
I'm not looking for a diagnosis, but I need some help/advice here:

- Do you think it's possible that someone could have a permanently "abused" brain? I mean I can't be like this forever surely, maybe I need to carefully do the TRE so my mind can go back to homeostasis.

- What can be done about this? If I release the trauma too quickly with TRE, I feel re-traumatized.

- What do you think caused this?

Thanks.
BDD and vulnerable narcissism/avpd traits.
Ubinix800
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:33 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Emotional trauma, need some help here

Postby IwhoHaveNothing » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:25 pm

Not trying to give you a diagnosis but if it's only in the past year and you haven't felt this way before you might want to consider ruling out any physiological causes. Perhaps have your thyroid level checked which can be done with a blood test or other possibilities and once those are eliminated look for a psychological cause.
IwhoHaveNothing
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:33 pm

Postby snookiebookie » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:37 am

I'm totally NOT qualified to diagnose, please remember that. But I think the answer you are looking for is called Complex PTSD. It has other names too, complex trauma or sometimes Childhood PTSD or Developmental Trauma.

It's caused by repeated exposure to traumatic and damaging events as opposed to one shocking, frightening life threatening event.

It's not in the DSM but I believe has just been added to the ICD for professionals who are qualified to diagnose. There's been much debate over adding it to the DSM and whether it's distinct from PTSD.

The current thinking is that the repeated exposure causes changes is how your brain functions. You become highly sensitive to triggers and are hypervigilant.

This is an area where the professionals are still learning and understanding how it works. I believe it will become a massive area of 'mental health' research as people realise the impact of repeated negative experiences and how widespread this is.
No official DX but I still struggle with mental health issues constantly.
Symptoms of Social and Generalised Anxiety Disorder.
Strongly identify with Avoidant Personality Disorder.
Feel that I possibly have some kind of emotional trauma/Complex PTSD.
snookiebookie
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Ubinix800 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:19 pm

Okay but what about the questions? And how are you managing your symptoms?
Thanks.
Ubinix800
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Justddrown » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:39 am

I think you might just need somebody (a therapist) to talk to and work through you’re “build up” of emotions. I had and still apparently have too many built up emotions. I’m an emotional person always have been. I was never really bullied (in my youth) nor exposed to any childhood trauma that I didn’t expose myself to later. The brain thing. I only feel the mind on fire (sensation?) when I take my meds too late. Although that may not be the case with you. You used the term “solar plexus” which leads me to believe your condition is insufferable because well, people don’t usually throw out a metaphysical term like that out of nowhere unless they’re sick or their mind is going too fast or something. I think you should see someone and I hope you feel better and that you can cling to the faith that you can get better.
Justddrown
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:33 pm

Postby Ubinix800 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:59 am

Justddrown wrote:You used the term “solar plexus” which leads me to believe your condition is insufferable because well, people don’t usually throw out a metaphysical term like that out of nowhere unless they’re sick or their mind is going too fast or something.

Yeah my mind is racing and I'm not well, so I've been practicing mediation as well. On the waiting list for emdr, but at this point, I think it may be more about emotions/boundaries than memories.

Thanks for the help and responses.
Ubinix800
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby snookiebookie » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:01 pm

I'm still working on "recovery" and can still struggle with symptoms.

The biggest thing for me had been understanding. I understand that my repeated negative experiences have affected me. It has changed how I relate to the world. It has affected how reactive my emotions are. It is a psychological injury.

Finding a therapist who understood was helpful. I don't think she was 'trauma informed' but she helped me see how life has effected me. How I feel shame and take blame but minimise what others did.

Other things that help are yoga, mindfulness and journaling. I've also read about DBT and about healthy self soothing techniques. I think people with C-PTSD tend to be emotionally reactive and suffer from emotional dysregulation. I've learned to recognise this and try and soothe myself.

I am also working on my inner critic v my inner child. Which involves trying to reparent myself. That one is in its early stage. One thing I do know I need to do, but I am no good at, is self compassion.

Oh, and I did four sessions of EMDR years ago, and I found it to be great. It's a shame that there no one affordable nearby now. I think it would help now.

Hope that helps
No official DX but I still struggle with mental health issues constantly.
Symptoms of Social and Generalised Anxiety Disorder.
Strongly identify with Avoidant Personality Disorder.
Feel that I possibly have some kind of emotional trauma/Complex PTSD.
snookiebookie
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post