Our partner

Will confronting my abuser make things worse?

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.
*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

Will confronting my abuser make things worse?

Postby Briellewannabe » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:25 pm

Hi I'm new here. I wasn't sure where to post...

I'm a woman in my mid-twenties. The past 4-5 years I've been struggling with major depression and suicidal thoughts and actions, stemming from child sexual abuse I endured from my neighbor between the ages of 4-6.

Recently I took action to locate this individual. I knew him only as "Mr. M," no first name. I found two Mr. M's that lived next door to me, brothers. I didn't know which brother was my abuser. One brother, "D," had a criminal history of drug offenses and cruelty to a child, he was also deceased. I assumed this to be by abuser as the other brother, "R," was clean.

I found R. M. on Facebook and sent him a message inquiring if he was the man who lived next door. He said he was. I asked him about an non-illegal encounter my siblings and I experienced with the man who later abused me. I expected R. M. to say that wasn't him, it was his brother, D. M., but instead R. M. stated he did recall that memory. I was completely taken aback--I was nearly convinced D.M. was my abuser and had not really stopped to think it might be R. M. I asked another question for clarification, and he confirmed once again that it was him. At this point I stopped contacting him because I started to spiral into negative-town. When I thought my abuser was a man who was addicted to drugs and had past criminal history with children, that made sense. I thought my abuser was a broken man who really didn't stand a chance in society. Now I know my abuser is a successful individual (according to social media, which I know isn't very reliable), it makes me feel stupid, pathetic, and weak.

Nearly a month after he sent me that message (and of which I didn't respond), he sent me another one asking how I found him, as we had no mutual friends on Facebook. I still haven't responded, but I feel I want to, I just don't know if it's going to cause more harm than good. I don't imagine if I confront him he'd confess--who would? That's evidence that could send him to prison. But it's killing me not to do something. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced something similar and had advice. It eats me up inside that I told no one as a kids, and the idea of letting him walk away again is making me feel weak and pathetic, but at the same time, I don't want his denial or angry reaction to make things worse either, as I'm not in a super stable situation.
Briellewannabe
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri May 24, 2019 7:04 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Will confronting my abuser make things worse?

Postby Mr1020 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:43 am

I am terribly sorry that this happened to you. No one deserves to go through that. Since you mentioned that you are not in a stable place, I would not recommend saying anything. It is going to bring up a lot, and I don’t think it will give you as much closure and peace as you think. That is just my opinion as I don’t know exactly how you feel.
Mr1020
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri May 24, 2019 10:04 am

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:01 am

Find a therapist you trust (and who specializes in trauma) and decide and plan with the therapist before confronting your abuser.
His "denial or angry reaction" could definitely make things worst especially if you're not in "a super stable situation"

It could trigger you or downright traumatize you even further. It could also increase anxiety, depression, suicidal ideation and impulsivity.

Do what you want, but plan it with a therapist first.
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Briellewannabe » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:04 pm

Thank you for your suggestions.

I do have a therapist, but she doesn't specialize in trauma. I may try to bring that up at the next session...
Briellewannabe
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post