Our partner

Is taking Abilify 5 mg an indicator of good prognosis ?

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.
*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

Is taking Abilify 5 mg an indicator of good prognosis ?

Postby Magdalena844 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:41 pm

Hello
My son is taking Abilify 5 mg and is psychosis free for more than 5 years,he now works as a part time consultant but is considering quitting the job due to poor results,he has no energy to think and his concentration is average,his work needs high levels of thinking and originality but the medication even at a very low dose seems to dull the power in his brain.
My primary doctor is considering stopping the medication .
How many of you take Abilify 5 mg and have you stopped taking it? With what results?
Magdalena844
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:47 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Is taking Abilify 5 mg an indicator of good prognosis ?

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:07 pm

I'm not a professional but my understanding is Abilify 5mg is a low but still considered within the starting range of therapeutic dose as an antipsychotic
-and on the mid-higher level of therapeutic range as a mood stabilizer

Different people have different results.
He may be fine or he may get psychosis again.

I'd strongly recommend doing the changes extremely slowly and with a psychiatrist rather than a regular doctor.
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:47 am

Postby Magdalena844 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:20 am

Hello !
Actually there has been few studies on utility of very low dose abilify 2-5mg on psychosis,the FDA states that the antipsychotic dosage starts at 10 mg for adults.
What is also known is that at 0.5 mg per day of Abilify for 2 weeks 40% of D2 and D3 receptors are occupied so it surely has some effect but as some other studies state that for 5 mg after the 3rd or 4th week is no better than placebo in controlling psychosis .
So the mystery remains what does Abilify do at these very low doses ?
Any response is welcome .
Magdalena844
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:47 pm

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:08 pm

It looks like the mystery for you then is who to agree with.
FDA or a psychiatrist

If you think it doesn't work as an antipsychotic at 5mg, then there's no issue for you.

People also take a wide range of doses (including low) of Abilify as a mood stabilizer and also as an antidepressant.

Still probably a good idea to go to a real psychiatrist and find out why your son is being given 5mg ... unless you already have answers you're willing to accept and not willing to accept.
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:47 am

Postby RottenFish » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:23 pm

About 4 years ago, my psychiatrist (at the time) recommended I take Abilify 5 mg for my mood swings. The results? Disastrous. I was unable to be function. Getting out of bed took hours. Doing basic tasks took forever. The dose was then increased to 10mg and things got even worse.

My experience with Abilify was short-lived and as soon as I got off of it, I was able to work again.

Not everyone has success stories with these psych drugs. My success story came right after I stopped ingesting these drugs.
Primary Dx: OCD
Secondary Dx: Bipolar
Meds: None. I refuse to poison my body and mind with psych drugs.

✲´*。.❄¨¯`*✲。❄。*。¨¯`*✲✲´*。.❄¨¯`*✲。❄。*。¨¯`*✲✲´*。
Problems are not allowed here. Only opportunities to grow.
✲´*。.❄¨¯`*✲。❄。*。¨¯`*✲✲´*。.❄¨¯`*✲。❄。*。¨¯`*✲✲´*。
RottenFish
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:47 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Malasha » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:28 am

I don't know what your son had in psychosis. But in any case, in mental disorders, a person begins to get lost in their states, loses a sense of inner comfort.
Try the meditation technique. This could really help to reduce and derealization, and voices and everything else.
Close your eyes and try to see all the muscle tensions in your body that deprive you of a comfortable state. Pay special attention to the muscles of the face and head. And then, not paying attention to these muscle tensions, you should try to achieve a comfortable state. You can get comfortable condition with a lot of muscle tension. People often do not notice this strong muscle tension and unconsciously support it. This tension may be so strong that your efforts will not be enough to remove it. But your efforts should be directed not to maintain tensions but to remove them.

To do this, you only need to focus on the state of internal comfort.
If you notice that the internal tension as it pulls attention to yourself, try to focus attention on this place, and then as if to get out from under this concentration of attention. This can be called the technique of scattered attention.

Then this thing can happen - you concentrate on some place, you can relax the muscles, but the tension has changed the configuration and went to another place. You track tensions again and you leave from it again and it goes to another place again. So you can meditate as much as you want. If you succeed, then there is a certain pleasure in it.
It is better to do it at night, but you can do it at any time. You can anywhere at least for a moment to close your eyes and instantly disconnect.
In depression, do not orient on the emotional color of the feeling, but only on its strength.
Well, that is the reason for depression can be anything and feelings can be different. But the feelings should be ignored as if they were not.
Sorry for my English.
Malasha
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:47 pm

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post