Our partner

Mental Illness after New Age practices. HELP!

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.
*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

Mental Illness after New Age practices. HELP!

Postby ime223 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:25 pm

First forgive me for my bad English. I hope that you will understand me. I was always very shy guy, very self critical and anxious. At the end of high school i started smoking and drinking alcohol and went into slight depression. To let go of depression i found on net some practices like Law of Attraction and Eckhart Tolle teachings. I already felt slight guilt because of destroying my body with cigarettes and because i was always a good guy and now i was doing some unmoral acts. After some experiences with Law of Attraction it seemed to be true for me. But now problem was my fear of lung cancer and my negative way of thinking so i became very fearful that i will attract cancer to myself and i completely adopted that "magical" way of thinking like if i think bad thoughts i will experience bad things. It caused me to deny my negative emotions and created HELL for me. I started to supress my thoughts. To find relief from that suffering i tried to meditate but it only worsened my condition. And then after reading Power of Now i felt very heavy guilt because when he talks about ego i understand that ego is myself and i started to see myself in negative way ( very heavy guilt ). So now i feel very guilty for having a ego, i hate myself i suffer alot. Intelectualy i understand that i cannot be guilty for being myself but my mind is contantly producing heavy negative thougths like ego is illusion, you are illusion, everything is unreal, self does not exist ( very painful feeling after that thought ). I started to deny and reject myself and feel completely brainwashed. I wish i never heard of E.T. PLEASE HELP ME. I WANT ECKHART TOLLE OUT OF MY MIND I WANT LOA OUT AND TO RETURN TO MY NORMLAL RATIONAL THINKING. I am suffering for 5 years it destroyed my young years ( 20 - 25 ) of life . I lost all my friends because i lost my personality out of heavy suffering. I could not smile nor cry. Only heavy guilt and negative thoughts of self hatred.
5 years of pure suffering everyday, unable to sleep, unable to enjoy life like before. WHat i can do. I went to psychiatrist many times but he could not help me. i refused to take meds.
ime223
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:35 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Mental Illness after New Age practices. HELP!

Postby RottenFish » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:29 pm

In order to prevent your thinking from getting worse, try not to adopt new philosophies or ways of thinking. Knowledge is good, but too much knowledge can cause the brain to overload.

Try to go back to your old lifestyle before you learned these New Age techniques. Just like you learned them, you can unlearn them. What were you doing when you were happy? Go back to doing that. Alcohol and smoking is bad, but they cannot harm you if you don't poison your body with these drugs.
Primary Dx: OCD
Secondary Dx: Bipolar
Meds: None. I refuse to poison my body and mind with psych drugs.

✲´*。.❄¨¯`*✲。❄。*。¨¯`*✲✲´*。.❄¨¯`*✲。❄。*。¨¯`*✲✲´*。
Problems are not allowed here. Only opportunities to grow.
✲´*。.❄¨¯`*✲。❄。*。¨¯`*✲✲´*。.❄¨¯`*✲。❄。*。¨¯`*✲✲´*。
RottenFish
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:35 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:50 am

New Age crap like Ester Hicks law of attraction, doreen virtue and all the other idiots like them definitely can contribute to mental illness.

Distress tolerance and grounding skills from Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) and therapy might do you good.

Stay in the mundane rather than having your head in the clouds.

Avoid psychoactives including pot.

Hopefully it will pass with time.

-- Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:51 pm --

DaturaInnoxia wrote:New Age crap like Ester Hicks law of attraction, doreen virtue and all the other idiots like them definitely can contribute to mental illness.

Distress tolerance and grounding skills from Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) and therapy might do you good. Same with OCD treatments around challenging thoughts.

Stay in the mundane rather than having your head in the clouds.

Avoid psychoactives including pot.

Hopefully it will pass with time.
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:35 am

Postby thelast » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:20 am

Hello, you say that you want to go back to your normal self before all this, to enjoy the things the way you did before this period. Try to remember. You said that you were shy, anxious, critical. So you were in pain, you probably were totally out of solutions, only drifting half-asleep (seemingly enjoying things) and that is precisely why you were so excited about LOA. Because nothing else worked. Now you know that LOA is no good either. But to return to where you were before, is to return to hopelessness.

About LOA. It doesn't work like that: a repetitive thought = a result.
That is a common opinion, but not accurate, may it come from any expert.
There are two kinds of thought, discernable by the way you feel: one feels like taking a step into the new, like exploring, like curiosity, the other feels like a heaviness in the stomack, like touching something old.
The first mentioned kind is what is yet to come, it is what you create right now, what you may choose to not create as well. It doesn't impose itself. The second imposes itself, it's like you have no say - this is because that thought is about what already IS. You are not creating that, you are now engulfed in it.
A thought about cancer might be new in its wording or details, but that panic, isn't it old as life? Isn't that emotion a fear that you experienced before, about other things? Fear about bad stuff happening. A new worded thought is only a different sub-scenario of a more basic thought - "I'm going to suffer".
This intense thing you're going through, you simply have your finger put on a wound that was ignored before. If there is any healing to happen, it is now happening. This crazy, insane period is the pain that you grew with as a background. Try to see how it had affected you before. Try to see it. The more you see, the calmer it gets.
thelast
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:35 pm

Postby Justddrown » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:26 am

I wish I could kill my ego it’s so hard but I do find comfort in that we’re all really nobody. The knowledge is only so useful. Ie: Thomas Franklin made some bold statements in his life, doesn’t mean I should adopt frank’s viewpoints. I sometimes wonder if belief that I’m special is really just classical trait of narcissism so it’s nice to know we’re all nobody and there’s no reason to be scared because being scared doesn’t help when nothing matters.
Justddrown
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Justddrown » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:13 am

I mean some things matter what you think is important to you matters family friends noble causes. Outside of that we’re all searching for the stargate that ascends us into the cosmos.
Justddrown
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post