Our partner

20 years of depression, OCD & fatigue. Help!

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.
*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

20 years of depression, OCD & fatigue. Help!

Postby mansnils » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:52 pm

I'm a 22-year-old man diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome. For nearly 20 years I've suffered from major depression, OCD, debilitating fatigue and complete physical and emotional numbness. It takes me an hour to get out of bed in the morning because my legs won't lift. I try my hardest, then relax for a few seconds and then try again, over and over until it finally works. I'm on sick leave from school because of all of this. I've tried both SNRI and SSRI medications, as well as various anti-anxiety medications, with no success. I've even had 10 sessions of electroconvulsive therapy with no success as far as my depression goes; the OCD, however, has gone away a bit. Today me and my mother met my doctor who explained to us that my depression is psychologically based rather than biological and that it will go away even though it doesn't feel like it. I can't believe the last thing he said. How is it supposed to go away if it's existed for 20 years without ever getting any better? How long should I have to wait? He's now decided not to give me any more ECT sessions. He even said it's not my fault. How is it not my fault? I understand that mental illnesses can be complex in nature. It would be nice if someone could explain how my depression could be psychological, especially if it's not my fault. I would also like to know what I can personally do to make my situation better. Has anyone been in my situation? For how long, maybe? Maybe not with the AS but at least the depression and debilitating fatigue.
mansnils
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:19 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: 20 years of depression, OCD & fatigue. Help!

Postby Wally58 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:08 pm

Psychologically-based depression may need a situational change, intensive therapy and other treatments suggested in your treatment plan. Situations are 'just there' or may be given to us and not necessarily 'our fault'. We all have 'gifts' in our inventory that we may not have asked for or thought that we wanted to deal with.
Ask your doctor how to expedite relief from this 'psychologically-based' depression. If sufferers could simply 'snap out of it' there would be no need for this type of care.
I hope that you continue to seek out answers with this doctor and stay engaged with all treatment suggestions.
I know that I was financially 'forced' to live with my parents at their house until I was 30 years old. I really didn't 'get better' until I moved out. I was still (and always will be) their little boy to them. It is the natural dynamics.
I wasn't able to really have an 'adult-to-adult' conversation with my parents until I moved out from the house and got my own feet on the ground. Parents will always love you and be proud of you. They do want to help. Seeing your frustration is frustrating for them as well.
Keep doing the best you can every day with what you have. Plan your destiny. Best of luck to you. :D
Wally58
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:19 pm

Postby heracles » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:07 pm

You've had depression since you were two years old? You can actually remember it?
Intermittent, intense angst & sensucht . Covert somatic narcissism/Pseudo-Body-Dysmorphia. Secret, languid schizoid. Dysthymia. Gerascaphobia. Dorian Gray Syndrome. Avoidant. Iatraphobia. Psychiatraphobia. Self-Indentified. Just traits? High on the spectrum? Full blown? Doesn't matter to me. Not on meds. INTJ.
heracles
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:19 pm
Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby mansnils » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:28 pm

heracles wrote:You've had depression since you were two years old? You can actually remember it?

No, I may be exaggerating a bit, but I'm sure I've had it for at least 15 years.
mansnils
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby Oblivion » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:15 pm

OP: what's your diet like?
Oblivion
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:19 pm

Postby mansnils » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:22 pm

Oblivion wrote:OP: what's your diet like?

I eat a normal, balanced diet. I eat meat, vegetables, potatoes and chicken. Every day I eat breakfast and two meals. For breakfast I have a sandwich with butter and ham.
mansnils
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby Oblivion » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:41 pm

mansnils wrote:
Oblivion wrote:OP: what's your diet like?

I eat a normal, balanced diet. I eat meat, vegetables, potatoes and chicken. Every day I eat breakfast and two meals. For breakfast I have a sandwich with butter and ham.

Try substituting some of the meat you eat with vegetables. Don't eat ham at all, or any other processed meats.

I know, telling people what's good for them to eat is like telling them about your religion. But it worked for me. In the past ten years, everything (stressors, reasons to become depressed etc.) in my life has gotten worse, except my diet, which has vastly improved. I can think of no other reason than diet as the cause of my improvement in depression symptoms and lack of fatigue.

Do your own research. There's a lot of information out there.

Also, the best way to improve your diet is gradually. Otherwise, you might get discouraged.
Oblivion
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby RottenFish » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:25 pm

mansnils wrote:Today me and my mother met my doctor who explained to us that my depression is psychologically based rather than biological and that it will go away even though it doesn't feel like it.

I would never rely on 1 doctor's professional opinion. You can see 4 different doctors and get 4 different answers :shock:

The one thing I do know is that out of the hundreds of depressed people I met, their depression was usually situational. Diet and exercise help a lot. But living with certain people, or living in certain towns, can cause even the happiest people to become depressed.
RottenFish
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post