Our partner

Social media messes with my head

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.
*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

Social media messes with my head

Postby pierogi » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:46 pm

Does anyone else on here feels just plain miserable while watching ANY social media posts where other people are together and having fun? When I'm sitting alone without much possibility to meet with anyone, seeing other people not being alone like me makes me feel double the loneliness and creates the illusion that I'm the only lonely person in the world.
The simplest solution would be just turning off social media and going out, but what could I do when I don't have the possibility to meet up with anyone? Distracting myself and doing things alone doesn't really work anymore, the feeling of isolation is so strong I struggle to stop myself from crying almost every day.
pierogi
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:19 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Social media messes with my head

Postby Justddrown » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:49 am

I think it messes with a lot of people’s heads from one point or another. I don’t really care what someone is doing or how they’re having fun i tend to just “like” that kind of stuff. I used to feel like that. Take some shrooms slow it down and then astral project into your envied life so you can realize it’s as lame as yours.
Justddrown
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:19 am

Re: Social media messes with my head

Postby phoenix1 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:46 am

Essentially, that's what social media is: a bunch of people trying to show the world how great everything is, 24/7.

Fortunately most of it, if not all of it, isn't real.

Me me me me look at me, look at how great I am, look at my selfies, my vacation, my food, my toys, my love, my kids, me me me.

The truth, the REAL truth, is that no one cares. It's a bunch of people, portraying themselves as awesome, important etc. No one is going to tell you they have crippling OCD and want to die, publically, or struggled with addiction, abuse, etc. (I'd say very rarely)

I have no social media, and it was the best thing I ever did. I no longer have to look at a screen as long, having to keep up with people's BS. I had it all. Facebook, snapchat, twitter, instagram.

One of my favorite questions I get asked is "didn't you see my Facebook post?" "like and follow" "subscribe." No. True leaders don't ask to be followed, and rarely want followed. Leaders, lead themselves on their greatest path. Become your OWN leader and set your OWN rules.

No, I didn't your facebook post, and if I did, it probably didn't provide anything anyways LOL

You, go BE YOU. Go do the things that make you happy and fulfilled, and don't worry about this BS.

The OTHER thing I will mention, is the whole 'liking' thing and friends.

When I had facebook, I had 1000s of 'friends' all over the world. They'd like this and that, post on my wall for my birthday, etc. etc.

Then, I got sick of it. If someone needed me, they'd call or text. If they wanted to meet and be my friend, they'd ask me to hangout. I decided I wasn't going to live my life staring at a screen.

I haven't had facebook in years (kinda hard as a 27 year old, people look at you funny) but you start to realize who gives a $#%^ and who doesn't.

my "best friends" missed my birthday, not that it matters to me that much, but I didn't miss theirs, simply because I cared. I'd send postcards, call or text. Old school. I started to have fewer friends, but the friends I do have are bulletproof.

I literally few 1400 miles to see someone for 20 hours, just to see if she was OK. She had just gotten out of an abusive relationship where she was not only abused but cheated on and lied to.

I flew there to make her feel like a queen, the most important thing in the world, and she was/is.

I've driven 11 hours overnight, not to miss my best friends 21st birthday, and drove 11 hours back the next day.

When you have relationships and friendships that matter to you, there are no rules. People tell you things, good or bad.

So, not to go off on a tangent, but deleting social media was the best thing I ever did. You can start to live, you build better relationships, and you notice very little things.

May not work for everyone, but I enjoy life more, I don't have to keep up or prove anything, and when you make a mistake or 'mess something up' it's not blasted all over the internet, so there's no damage control.

https://youtu.be/ZGEQmFL9McU
phoenix1
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:19 am

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post