Our partner

Living in the moment and staying grounded

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.
*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

Living in the moment and staying grounded

Postby curtinmd » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:19 pm

How do you live in the present moment? I have heard the advice you don't want to think about the past and instead stay grounded in the moment. Guess it called being mindful of mindfulness. But how do you actually do that? I find my mind constantly reliving or thinking about the past. So I guess im looking for advice on how to stay in the present moment and be grounded in the present moment. Thanks.
curtinmd
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue May 21, 2019 11:25 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Living in the moment and staying grounded

Postby Cassandre » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:07 am

Reliving the past in one's head may mean things eating at you, it's things that haven't been digested emotionally and require work. Usually, when you've made sense of the past, this is when you're free to live in the present again. Meditation can help, as a temporary fix.

But perhaps you feel comfortable elaborating on what part of your past is preoccupying you?
Cassandre
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Wed May 22, 2019 2:25 am

Postby phoenix1 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:12 pm

Well, from a physical standpoint, you don't have to exist.

The truth, the REAL truth, is we don't know wtf this is, what we're doing, or why. We're the universe interacting with itself, which is both scary and beautiful at the same time. The difference between me, you, and a cloud, is nothing. The atoms vibrate at a different speed, which our eyes interpret less than 0.004% of the light spectrum. Our entire understanding of reality (or lack of understanding LOL) is based on 'seeing' virtually nothing.

The universe didn't have to create anything, but it did and we don't know why. In a seemingly infinite universe, there are infinite possibilities. (More or less)

So you arrive to "how to I handle this" The answer, at least for me, is that you don't. Don't stress, because literally nothing matters, except what matters to you.

Everyone is searching for a purpose, or answer to everything, when the most logical conclusion is that we don't know, it doesn't matter if we did, and it doesn't matter if we don't.

Neurophysically, I won't remember my entire existence. What was life like before you were born? You don't know, because you can't, and you won't afterwards.

I think that in itself becomes beautiful. You get to have a cup of coffee, riding a rock at 50,000 mph. What you get to 'love' you only love once. It makes the moments absolutely special. This mentality has allowed me to eliminate the anger, most of the hurt, useless emotions, useless drama, and #######4 I shouldn't care about.

What is important, is important to you.

For me at least, I'm ready to go at any time, I've made my peace. Like I said, I don't have to exist.

I put it to the train station in the matrix (if you don't know what that is it's here https://youtu.be/QGbrsj_odwU)

When we're born, we're given a ticket....waiting in the station for the train to leave. I don't know when it's coming, but you can enjoy all the people and things in the station while you wait.

Since you don't know when it's coming, why would you want to leave on a bad note? What is there to gain/lose? If it comes within the next 5 minutes, would you be yelling at your wife/husband/kids, would you cause havoc, worry about finances, or think there's a goal?

There is no goal. in a billion years, the sun will wipe out everything we've built. eventually, as we understand it, the universe itself will collapse.

I had to accept that I'm not important, but I never had to be. We're here and then we're not, and there are fleeting moments of happiness and sadness, and love and peace, and even turmoil. Love can't exist with out hate (there has to be an opposite) just as light without dark.

So, you take every moment as it is, enjoy what you're doing, whether it's having coffee, driving around, sitting with a loved one, or using the bathroom. (You're literally the universe taking a dump LOL)

I hope this makes sense, and this is just how I have started to view things. Just remember the best stuff in life is free. Beautiful scenery, people, the wind, love, sunlight, etc.

Look at it like water under a bridge. It flows and doesn't care. Eventually you and I both will return completely back to the earth, directly from where we came.

Enjoy all your little atoms functioning together in a dance that is YOU. Eventually the dance ends, the music stops, and we make our peace and say goodbye. For the moments in between we can laugh, cry, dance, hug, and eat hamburgers.

People will 'live' the majority of their life never realizing this, staring at a screen, worrying about social media, and never watching the birds zoom through the sky or watch the rain fall in a pond.

That to me, personally, isn't living.

If you look at most animals, there is no goal. They don't care, they eat and run around, fly, and play. Why don't we?
phoenix1
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Wed May 22, 2019 1:25 am

Postby NewLife2017 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:27 pm

Maybe writing down each day what you did that day that was great. Maybe forgiving yourself for anything you did wrong in the past and living healthy today. Maybe making the most of now because yesterday is gone. Some possibilities of living in the moment. Each moment is a new shot at life
NewLife2017
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Wed May 22, 2019 1:25 am

Postby Justddrown » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:22 am

Thanks for turning the thread into absolute nihilism Phoenix

-- Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:23 pm --

Thanks for turning the thread into absolute nihilism Phoenix
Justddrown
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Justddrown » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:33 am

Reply to op, I had a therapist that was trying to instill mindfulness in me but he kept talking about sex and how to get laid and how to get a girl to take her pants off when your getting it on or something. Apparently if you have college girls write you lists of “what would it take to change your mind?” This not only qualified as bad advice and proper treatment to instill mindfulness.
Justddrown
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby shatteredwishes » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:07 pm

I am not exactly sure what happened to this thread, but I am going to put in my two cents. The absolute best way to stay mindful and present is to stay in motion. I have noticed in my life that if I stay idle, lay in bed all day, or just let my mind wander, thoughts of the past or even past failures run around in my head. But if i get up, take a shower, go out, or even call up a friend those thoughts disappear.

Don't give those thoughts a chance to enter your mind - Stay busy and stay active to beat it.

Hope that helps!
"To see the world,
Things dangerous to come to,
To see behind walls,
Draw closer,
To find each other,
And to feel.
That is the purpose of life."
shatteredwishes
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby MindOnAir » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:09 am

OP, have you been taught mindfulness exercises? How does it help you?
Dx: Avpd, Paranoid Personality, Erotomania (but not delusional disorder)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Medication: escitalopram 10 mg
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The ability to like or love someone is a gift I can never have.
MindOnAir
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby Theymakeyouwait » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:06 am

Meditation is a way to train your mind to stay in the moment. Practice is supposed to make you better right? Well meditation is basicaly you practicing staying in the moment.

-- Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:06 pm --

Meditation is a way to train your mind to stay in the moment. Practice is supposed to make you better right? Well meditation is basicaly you practicing staying in the moment.
Theymakeyouwait
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Justddrown » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:05 am

I think I read on here that meditation was yes breathing and closing your eyes but instead of focusing in you just let all your random images pass right through, take the ride.
Justddrown
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post