Our partner

Anyone else ever have this???

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.
*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

Anyone else ever have this???

Postby Dawg126 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:54 am

Not completely "off-topic" but didn't know where else in the world to post this...
Has anyone else ever experienced this madness from my childhood...literally ANYONE else ever have this??

Between the ages of 8 and about 20, mostly during periods of silence, commonly while reading by myself, I would have sudden attacks of adrenaline surges where my hearing would dramatically go “super-sonic” – volume would increase, focus would sharpen, and I could hear every page of a book scraping against my fingers as I turned them, landing heavily on the other side like my eardrums were hiding inside the leaves.

I could suddenly hear everything in an almost completely silent room hundreds of times too loud, like I was Superman, but paralysed in a waking nightmare. I referred to these episodes as “Daymares” (seriously, I'm not a superhero and I'm not making this up).

They didn’t just happen to me at home (although this was most common), sometimes they would happen on the train when I was as old as 20, and I could suddenly hear everyone’s voices around me escalate until they were clear from the other end of the carriage. It would frequently happen in my bedroom while reading a book, or if I was ever just in a room by myself (without social interaction) for over an hour.

It never happened around other people, as talking to other people was actually the cure; as soon as I spoke to anyone else, the second they answered me everything would return to a normal volume, my adrenaline would drop instantly back to normal, and I could continue as usual.

Once, one of these “daymares” struck when everyone else had gone to bed (I’d stayed up late reading) so I had no one around to snap me out of it (Oh NO!!!). I tried walking around and sitting in another room to see if it would go away, but instead I started to get *visual hallucinations of skulls flying at me* until I finally woke someone else in the house up, just to get a one word response, which was enough to end that particular episode.

If anyone else has ever had this or anything even similar I would be immensely interested to hear from you, as I haven’t found anything online describing this, and I feel like the only person in the world who ever suffered from this obscure... thing. Is it something like an auditory/neural fit or spasm? What causes it?

Btw, this hasn’t happened to me in almost 10 years, but I’m very curious to see if anyone else experienced what I did, and hopefully this can be helpful if anyone else is experiencing this themselves.

It's a long shot, maybe I'm alone...

Cheers, D
Dawg126
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:18 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Anyone else ever have this???

Postby kaf » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:55 pm

Okay so this is really interesting because sometimes before I go to sleep or as you say somewhere quiet for a while I experience something silmilar to what you describe except it sounds as if yours were more frequent? How frequent were they and how long did they go on for? And I don’t think it has happened to me in the day. Anyway, what I experience is as you say a kind of rush of adrenaline and all sounds get louder.. almost manic actually, in my experience.. but it’s the thoughts in my head as well so whatever I am thinking in my head, my inner voice, sounds really weird and manic.. I’m not sure how else to explain it tbh!!
kaf
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:48 am

Postby kaf » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:08 pm

Also also! Again before I go to sleep I experience another strange phenomenon, It’s kind of connected with the adrenaline rush, I sort of visualise different feelings in my head, but I don’t just visualise them I feel them (as in touch) but it’s not in my fingers or any other part of my body it’s in my head.. also I visualise strange places but it’s not like a dream it’s genuinely a feeling!! And it just happens when I’ve been still or quiet for as you say, more than an hour
-kat
kaf
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:48 am

Postby pierogi » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:11 pm

Seems like a sensory overload to me, except in my case, they don't really subside that easily and are related to anxiety. The worst is when I'm at school and everything's so loud that I can't handle it except curl up in a corner or when I'm supposed to focus on an exam but I can't because I get shivers from the sound of someone scribbling something in the classroom.
I'm also not really sure about your mention of skulls, I never had visual distortions during sensory overloads.
pierogi
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:48 am

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum