Our partner

Sudden intense fear

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.
*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

Sudden intense fear

Postby Exploring » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:18 pm

Earlier today I had a thing happen that I can't fully place so I wanted to ask for thoughts.

On my way back from the restroom to my room I noticed the lights in the hall were on. This is a shared hall, so it made sense that one of the other residents passed through while I was in the bathroom and that's why the light was on. However, I had this sudden jolt of terror go through me. I felt as if I were being watched and as if another person were present. I felt as if / was scared that there was a man who was going to murder me. I hurried back to my room, locked the door. When I entered my room, I fully expected someone to be inside or that someone was inside during my absence, or hiding.

As I walked inside, I felt as if I saw someone sitting on the floor in my room. Sometimes, mostly when I'm already afraid, sometimes when I'm tired, I feel the presence of a figure. This was her. I don't think I actually see her, rather, I feel 'her' so intensely that it almost feels like I do. The feeling kind of went away, although I still felt scared. I still checked if there was anyone hiding in my room though.

I calmed down somewhat. Then the light in the hall came on again (which I can see through the cracks under and above the door) and there was some noise, and I was flooded with fear again. Flooded with terror, really. My body tensed up so much I started shaking, I had this vague urge to throw up and I couldn't think clearly. I was convinced I was in a situation where I was in danger and I kept thinking "he's going to come in, he's going to murder us". I was faintly aware that this wasn't a likely scenario, but for the most part I felt like this was what was happening. I also had that feeling you have when you realize you are in a terrible situation, and it feels unreal because it shouldn't be happening, it can't be happening, and your mind is trying to think its way out, but it is happeningand it dawns on you you will not be able to escape and the terrible thing is going to happen and you feel that combination of terror, confusion and grief? It's all a bit fuzzy now too, so the details and exact order are jumbled together in my mind.

In the midst of this, I had an image of a figure enter my mind, a man, towering over me, but too dark to see anything. I decided I wanted to make a sketch of it in my notebook to get a better sense of it, but when I needed to turn on the lights to see enough to do so the fear spiked again and I was terribly afraid that 'he' would see and come for me then, and there was this really specific feeling attached that I cannot quite place.

Eventually, it calmed down. Now I'm feeling exhausted - and curious as to where this came from. I understand a lot of people can scare themselves by thinking about things like that (I think most people fear intruders etc.) and I do have a heightened startle response and hypervigilance due to PTSD. It still seems fairly extreme to me though. I haven't experienced anything that would resemble that fear that I know of either, so although this seems intense enough to be a flashback, that doesn't make much sense. I was thinking maybe my mind got things mixed up and pressed play on some themes from movies I saw or something, but nothing specific comes to mind. I'm just curious, mostly.
Exploring
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:42 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Sudden intense fear

Postby Theymakeyouwait » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:13 am

When it’s time to fight or flee your body prepares you for the task. It pumps you full of chemicals to say the least about it. This is your body getting tricked into thinking you are in danger. For the most part remind yourself there is no danger, what you feel is your bodies natural response to a threat. For some people meditation helps. Otherwise I think recognizing you’re in panic mode is a good way to reduce the panic.

-- Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:14 pm --

When it’s time to fight or flee your body prepares you for the task. It pumps you full of chemicals to say the least about it. This is your body getting tricked into thinking you are in danger. For the most part remind yourself there is no danger, what you feel is your bodies natural response to a threat. For some people meditation helps. Otherwise I think recognizing you’re in panic mode is a good way to reduce the panic.
Theymakeyouwait
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:42 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post