Our partner

feeling like a child

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.
*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

feeling like a child

Postby cutiest_boy » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:18 am

I'm 27 and often feel like a child. I hate adult things. I try to fake being more of an adult but I really don't like it. The adult world feels soul-crushing to me and absolutely FULL of ego. I only ever want to treat adult things as a necessity to survive and never define myself by them. I want life to be fun, and exciting, and interesting, not all work work work and posing to impress others and pretending to fit in.

So of course I have anxiety trying to function when I do have to do adult things. I feel so afraid of all the judgment I will face if people can tell I'm different. I HATE trying to blend in, I don't WANT to blend in, because I don't believe in trying to act like i'm someone I'm not. Yet I have so much anxiety because I think people will treat me badly if I don't hide my feelings and preferences.
cutiest_boy
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:50 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: feeling like a child

Postby MellonCollie » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:48 pm

In spite of all of the things I'm insecure about and fill me with anxiety, the one thing that I'm completely confident in is that adulthood is 100% relative and misrepresented as something more oppressive and boring than it needs to be.
Any grown human being that will look at another fully grown human and pick on them for being human and having feelings or liking something that they don't is completely immature and gross.
You are more than allowed to like whatever you want to like. You can go to concerts and conventions and travel and be you and have fun.
AJ,Max,&Elliot
MellonCollie
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby Justddrown » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:50 pm

I’m not sure other people are really judging you. I don’t know what your predicament is (whether you have children or supporting a household) that may require you to do a little growing up so to speak but it may not be as big of a deal as you think. It may not be worth trying to “define” yourself especially through the differences between you and others. I know I see other people my age who are more or less on the same page as me with some more together than others but they’re not like me but to dismiss adults as something toxic is kind of the same as the belief you’re being dismissed in the same manner. I think you might just see others your own age “conforming” into adulthood and that you’re not comfortable with the stereotypical adult you may see. Just my opinion through personal experience but I may have misinterpreted what you’re trying to say.
Justddrown
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby Cholls » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:05 pm

@cutiest_boy,

I felt like you for a long time.

Figure out what you need to do to earn a living. Do the job you're paid to do. You don't need to sell out your soul just to do a job.

Unless you want to. Sadly, there are a lot of people who are so insecure that they think they have to play a role in order to have an identity. But you don't have to be like them.
Cholls
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:50 pm

Postby cutiest_boy » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:12 pm

MellonCollie wrote:In spite of all of the things I'm insecure about and fill me with anxiety, the one thing that I'm completely confident in is that adulthood is 100% relative and misrepresented as something more oppressive and boring than it needs to be.
Any grown human being that will look at another fully grown human and pick on them for being human and having feelings or liking something that they don't is completely immature and gross.
You are more than allowed to like whatever you want to like. You can go to concerts and conventions and travel and be you and have fun.

Thank you. I needed to hear that. I just want to have fun and not feel like life is closing all around me. I don't see why it has to be so different from childhood and teenage years, I get there's added responsibility but that doesn't mean you should have to lose something too, just to like, prove something? I don't want that, yeah I just want to have fun.

-- Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:13 pm --

Justddrown wrote:I’m not sure other people are really judging you. I don’t know what your predicament is (whether you have children or supporting a household) that may require you to do a little growing up so to speak but it may not be as big of a deal as you think. It may not be worth trying to “define” yourself especially through the differences between you and others. I know I see other people my age who are more or less on the same page as me with some more together than others but they’re not like me but to dismiss adults as something toxic is kind of the same as the belief you’re being dismissed in the same manner. I think you might just see others your own age “conforming” into adulthood and that you’re not comfortable with the stereotypical adult you may see. Just my opinion through personal experience but I may have misinterpreted what you’re trying to say.

Yes it's the stereotypes. I hate when I feel like I'm being pressured to fit a stereotype. Cause I don't fit.

-- Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:14 pm --

Cholls wrote:@cutiest_boy,

I felt like you for a long time.

Figure out what you need to do to earn a living. Do the job you're paid to do. You don't need to sell out your soul just to do a job.

Unless you want to. Sadly, there are a lot of people who are so insecure that they think they have to play a role in order to have an identity. But you don't have to be like them.

I agree. I don't know just 1 thing I want to do though. But then that shouldn't mean I can't do anything at all either.... so my fault there.
cutiest_boy
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby Justddrown » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:34 pm

Set a goal to buy something and work washing dishes or something. When I didn’t have to pay my own bills I’d get jobs for that kind of stuff.
Justddrown
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post