Our partner

Alternate reality creation stemming from anxiety??

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.
*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

Alternate reality creation stemming from anxiety??

Postby yanmoose » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:51 pm

I was diagnosed with anxiety over 2 years ago, for around the past 3 or 4 years I have been creating an alternate reality that only exists in my bedroom. I lost my dad almost 5 years ago to illness which is what my anxiety is related to and stems from. This alternate reality is filled with people I look up to, mainly youtubers I admire and wish I was friends with. They have changed over the years but have been consistent for the past 2. They all have specific spots in my room that they 'sit' and I talk to them all out loud. In my daydream I am older and have a whole elaborate backstory for myself. This includes moving to Canada and picking up the accent, so when I'm in my alternate reality I speak in a Canadian accent. All the relationships I have created in my little world are long term (like 6-7 years), and it makes me wonder if part of the reason I do this is to fill the emptiness I felt after losing my dad. Being in this daydream feels so good, I am more confident, I still have anxiety but I talk about it a lot more freely in my own world, and whenever I feel anxious or any other intense emotion, thats where I go. more recently I've started to feel ashamed in the middle of my daydream or when I come out of it, because I take a step back and realize how crazy I must look since I'm literally having a conversation with different patches of air. its not as though I actually see the people I want to see sat in front of me, I just imagine them and talk to them as if they were actually in the room. I am very strict with myself about where I do this, as I said it only really exists in my room. Sometimes if I'm home alone I'll use the accent around the house just to talk to myself, and during long car journeys I fantasize about it but thats as far as it goes. I realize how insane I must sound, but its bothered me for a while and I'm too embarrassed to talk about it, so as always I'm turning to the internet for some reassurance and some answers. does anybody else do this or something similar? does anybody know why I do this?
Thanks
yanmoose
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:03 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Alternate reality creation stemming from anxiety??

Postby Snaga » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:34 pm

Moved to Living With Mental Illness to reach more people, this sounds a lot like a stronger form of maladaptive daydreaming. But I've left a shadow in GAD so it can be seen there and followed here.

I used to have elaborate daydreams, and have touched on the fringes of daydreaming such as that, in real time as it were, pretending someone was there with me or something. But not to that extent. It sounds as if it's an escape mechanism to me, yes. I find online activities have replaced the elaborate daydreaming for me, but I used to have very elaborate imaginative lives.

Tell someone you love them today, because Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, because Life is also terrifying and confusing.

ISFP

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:03 pm

Postby yanmoose » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:14 pm

Okay re: the move. Thankyou for your reply! I think I’ll see if I’m brave enough to tak wothnmy counsellor about it. I have learnt a lot of coping strategies recently from my current counsellor and am currently putting them into practice so I’m hoping that once I get good at managing my anxiety as a whole, this will subside more.
yanmoose
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby CanFrogsHaveBPD » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:06 pm

If they're all people you look up to, it may indeed be connected to losing your father. Do they act like father figures? There's no need to feel crazy or ashamed about it. The fact that you're self-aware about it means you're still firmly in touch with reality.
CanFrogsHaveBPD
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:03 pm

Postby Infinitude » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:40 am

I don't really see anything wrong with that. Many people would probably say it's weird, but there's no shame in being weird.

There would be various factors involved, but I'd say a large part may just be that you're an imaginative and socially-oriented person, and that's the platform you've found to express those tendencies.
Dx: schizoaffective, social anxiety AKA spiritual and self-conscious
Infinitude
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:03 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby yanmoose » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:01 pm

CanFrogsHaveBPD wrote:If they're all people you look up to, it may indeed be connected to losing your father. Do they act like father figures? There's no need to feel crazy or ashamed about it. The fact that you're self-aware about it means you're still firmly in touch with reality.

They kinda do yes, it’s kind of a place I just escape to so I can vent and feel my anxiety in a different place if that makes sense. I definitely think it’s linked to losing my dad, as I said they are all people I look up to and my father was somebody I admired and still admire today. Thankyou for the reply, It’s reassuring to read these things :)
yanmoose
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby yanmoose » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:12 pm

Infinitude wrote:I don't really see anything wrong with that. Many people would probably say it's weird, but there's no shame in being weird.

There would be various factors involved, but I'd say a large part may just be that you're an imaginative and socially-oriented person, and that's the platform you've found to express those tendencies.

Thanks for the reply! I’m definitely imaginative, I’ve always been told my imagination is sometimes too good! I’m quite introverted and always have been, I’ve always been a pretty shy person and to have anxiety piled on top of that was difficult at first and I would agree with your idea that I’m expressing the social skills I wish I had through daydreaming. I enjoy being around my friends and family, and have found that if I don’t do something social for a while the daydreaming becomes more frequent. However, I’ve also found that if I overdo it with social activities I find myself wanting to escape. It’s all about balance lol
yanmoose
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post