Our partner

BPD, Dementia Threats. Need Thoughts.

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.
*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

BPD, Dementia Threats. Need Thoughts.

Postby justariver » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:18 pm

I'll try to keep this short with the initial issue. Please ask questions to guide me to a fuller context. We are being terrorized by a Borderline w/dementia in my extended family. All mostly older here. She's the oldest. There are daily suicide and false allegation threats. My 80 year old ailing Uncle is being threatened, screamed at and ridiculed daily by her and it is wearing heavily on him as he he tries to prevent even worse explosions. It takes a lot of our time and prevents ongoing business and functionality. I would call it blackmail. We have tried approaching it from various angles, with no luck. Please ask questions to guide me. Thank you. Need help.
justariver
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:16 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: BPD, Dementia Threats. Need Thoughts.

Postby bluefeeling » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:00 am

Do you think she could be convinced to see a psychiatrist or therapist? Would she or your family be against a nursing home? You could tell her that if she continues being abusive you will have no choice but to find elsewhere for her to live as it is unfair to the family to have to live in an abusive household daily.
bluefeeling
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:16 pm

Re: BPD, Dementia Threats. Need Thoughts.

Postby justariver » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:29 am

Sorry to get back to you late. Your answer is the obvious solution which hasn't worked for us. She refuses therapy or a nursing home and is oblivious to self insight. Calling he police is one solution, but you never know what you'll get. She threatens to accuse us of physical and emotional abuse if we try anything. She is very good at seeming sane when she needs to do so. One time, we almost made it. She had an irritating case of shingles and at the same time was threatening suicide. We took her to a hospital and informed them of her intent. They were going to keep her for overnight observation. She put on her sane face, told them she wanted to go home, irritated the staff enough that they wanted to throw her out. Complained about their approach and such things as chemical hospital smells. She then told them the suicide threats were just to get attention. They released her. My Uncle, who is recovering from serious surgery, convinced his physicians for his own need for a referral to a psychologist who deals with abuse situations and he has an appointment with one on Dec. 10th. Hopefully we might get somewhere. I thank you for your interest and for any further thoughts you might have.
justariver
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:16 pm

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post