Our partner

Sooo mixed up I don’t know where to go next

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.
*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

Sooo mixed up I don’t know where to go next

Postby aqualucida » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:46 pm

This is my story so far. I am 52 and at 13 my brother got knocked down and killed by a car on his way home from school at 10years old in 1979. Fast forward to now and even when I see the school I used to drop my son off, in my mind I think of my brothers name instantly instead of my sons.
I have been told that it is called transferance. I have been an alcoholic for most of my life. Taken drugs and mixed with the wrong crowd continually. I have been on anti phsychotics in the past along with lorazopram at the same time as a consequence of continuous pacing for hours at a time, coupled with self harm on numerous occasions.
I don’t currently have any contact with my son but I have always known how he has been doing. He is doing a degree in business studies at the moment.
Thing is, i don’t feel anything for him or anyone else at all. Nothing seems to register with me. I get bored with people’s emotions very quickly. None of this means anything to me whatsoever.
I can’t have a relationship with anybody no matter how much I yearn to have one.
I want to move on and have a normal life but this seems impossible to me at the moment. I feel lost and totally separated from the rest of humanity.
aqualucida
Consumer 0
Consumer 0
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:37 pm
Local time: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:12 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Sooo mixed up I don’t know where to go next

Postby Wally58 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:14 pm

I also drank and did drugs and hung with the bad crowd. I was unable to effectively seek help from doctors until had abstained from alcohol and drugs.
Doctors can't successfully treat you or give you effective medication if you are still actively drinking.
It takes time, but things did get better for me. I had to make peace with past trauma, clear my mind and move forward.
90% of my problems went away after I was able to stop drinking. I am able to work on the other 10% with a balanced and sober mind these days.
I will always have problems and make mistakes, but at least today they are real and I make reasonably good judgements and good decisions, instead of going with past drunken instincts.
I couldn't do it alone. Sharing my problems was the beginning of getting better. I am sorry to hear of the loss of your brother. Use his memory and presence to bring you the strength to recover. He would want this.
Best of luck to you. :D
Wally58
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer
 
Posts: 816
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:47 am
Local time: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:12 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum




  • Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests