Our partner

Tips for asking for help at psych-ward?

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.
*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

Tips for asking for help at psych-ward?

Postby TheFrogGirl » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:26 pm

I didn't really know where to put this, so mods you can just move it if you think it fits better somewhere else.

Lots of stuff has happened since I last did a proper post here.
I've "finally" been admitted to a psych-ward, and I still don't know how to feel about it. It's ok I guess.

I just wanted to ask if any of you have any tips for "reaching out". A big problem of mine is that I can't seem to speak up even when I should, so anytime a nurse pops by my room to ask "if I'm OK" I just say "yeah I'm fine" - even if I'm not (I'm on day 5 of admission, not much has happened).
It's like I can't physically get myself to say anything - I just feel like a burden and think that they probably have more important things to do anyway ... and I don't like being "dramatic".

Any tips to open up?
Social/General Anxiety and stressinduced Depression,
possible C-PTSD and/or AvPD
TheFrogGirl
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:30 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Tips for asking for help at psych-ward?

Postby Tanoujin » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:18 am

I think you are doing it correctly. If there is nothing unbearable or you are not about to lose control there is no sense in opening up to a nurse. Talk to the doctors when you have the chance. They are the ones who are making decisions: what medication, what kind of therapy and so on. If you have trouble to become structured for effective communication write it down and learn by heart what you want to say. If you have trouble to answer questions tell them you need time to think about it and answer them next time. Always keep in mind they have little time and react on keywords.
Depending on the ward it might be normal that there is not much going on in the first days. You can ask what they have to offer and when you will have the opportunity to talk.
Under all circumstances try to keep out of any trouble.
Tanoujin
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:30 pm

Re: Tips for asking for help at psych-ward?

Postby Wally58 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:55 am

Use this time to your advantage. If you are in a setting where help is offered or can be provided, you have to first identify what you want help working on, then ask about the best way of going about it. One day at a time.
Time at a psych-ward is very expensive and there is a constant need for admission to them. I was told that I may not have a second chance and to use the resources offered to me as if my life depended on it. It actually did.
I was dealing with late-stage chemical dependency and severe depression and anxiety. I was also an introvert and a hard time asking for help as well. Things did feel hopeless. I wanted to be left alone and sleep.
The facility I was at offered day-programs and after I was stabilized, I was allowed to attend group therapy and creative expression classes to come out of my shell.
This was decades ago and I was able to recover with the help of medication, therapy, AA, personal spiritual journeys and making friends. I had to make peace with my past, clear my mind and move forward with life. From this moment on, you can be who you really want to be.
Look at this as an opportunity that may not come to pass again. Mine became an epiphany.
Best of luck to you. :D
Wally58
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:30 pm

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post