Our partner

Medication

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.
*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

Medication

Postby Alucard » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:26 am

Oh where to begin. It's been such a long journey.

I'm having serious moral issues with taking my medication. I know the general consensus is "take your medication". I get that. Please do not repeat it.

I think what my issue is that I miss everything. I miss being out of touch with reality. I hate the reality that I'm in right now, and I know if I stop this medication a different reality will take form. And I don't see that as such a bad thing sometimes. I do some of my best work when I'm not myself.

Does anyone else have this issue with taking medication? Does anyone else no longer feel like their self anymore? Does anyone want to stop taking their medication because they feel better and feel like they don't need it? Anyone who can relate is welcome to reply.
I like living in the world in my head because I'm in charge half the time.
Alucard
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (9)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Medication

Postby Wally58 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:58 am

How long have you been on the med? It took me 3 or 4 years to stabilize.
I just knew that I couldn't keep going the way I was going and had to change. I stuck with my meds. I knew that taking my meds was voluntary. The doctor adjusted dosages and medication classes in order to help over the course of treatment.
Sometimes I had to 'white knuckle' it. I just knew that slipping back into what I was was not an option. There was no 'glorifying my past'. I considered this latest round as my last chance of recovery.
I finally got to choose the type of person that I wanted to be and life got better (I won't say that it got easier, but at least it got 'real').
I do hope that you find your intended path. Best of luck to you. :D
Wally58

Local time: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Medication

Postby justpostingafewtimes » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:23 pm

Altho I was never on meds long enough to not feel like myself I was on them long enough for the side effects to give me problems thus changing my life in disturbing ways that I didn't want to deal with on top of my preexisting problems so I stopped taking the meds. I knew someone who had schizophrenia who didn't like the way the meds changed her. I remember her saying something to the effect that the meds made it where she couldn't think or be herself and I responded with "good" because she was nuts so the less she could think the better considering how much trouble she got herself into. She was not happy when I said "good". I guess if the medication makes you able to function better at the expense of the side effects then maybe its worth it.
justpostingafewtimes
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post