Our partner

Yami Kawaii *Trigger Warning*

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.
*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

Yami Kawaii *Trigger Warning*

Postby perejil » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:10 am

*mod edit*

This is apparently a popular Japanese trend. Thoughts?
Last edited by quietgirl2538 on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Links to any type of social network profiles like facebook are not allowed as per forum rules.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes.

—Walt Whitman
perejil
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:23 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Yami Kawaii

Postby Snaga » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:57 pm

(Given I'm personally not sure if the link will stay up), I'll go ahead and say it sounds as if it's a relatively harmless, maybe healthy, outlet. And yeah it's kinda cute, too.

If it gives younguns with issues an outlet it's not a bad thing. It's not exactly advocating hurting yourself from what I saw. More like, This is Who I Am, I'm Hurt Inside.

Only other thought is I am jealous of that young man's Powerpuff Girls collection....

Tell someone you love them today, because Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, because Life is also terrifying and confusing.

ISFP

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:23 am

Postby perejil » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:00 pm

Snaga wrote:If it gives younguns with issues an outlet it's not a bad thing. It's not exactly advocating hurting yourself from what I saw. More like, This is Who I Am, I'm Hurt Inside.

I don't think it's advocating self harm and I agree that in Asian countries (and Japan in particular) there's a cultural stoicism that must be harmful to anyone suffering mental illness. The extremely high suicide rate demonstrates that there's a real serious problem there that's going unaddressed. It should be allowed/okay for people to say they're in emotional pain, and if this is the way they do it, then more power to them.

My concern is that the trend seems to be capitalizing on mental illness, or at least romanticizing it. Making it "cute". It's not cute. And it's not an pretext for selling a tee shirt. So I have mixed feelings about the new fad.

Only other thought is I am jealous of that young man's Powerpuff Girls collection....

Me too.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes.

—Walt Whitman
perejil
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Snaga » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:37 pm

I wonder how big a trend it is, and if the mdse has a really wide audience.

Tell someone you love them today, because Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, because Life is also terrifying and confusing.

ISFP

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Postby perejil » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:25 pm

I gather it's not that widely worn but it does seem to have a powerful artistic influence, especially in the cities and among the young. Like, it seems to be an important artistic/political movement in Japan. And from Japanese haute couture on to the rest of the world.

It's almost like, this is their version of the 60s.

-- Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:30 pm --

This link should be okay, right?

*mod edit*
Last edited by quietgirl2538 on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link removed because it is a graphic act of self-injury and it is against forum rules

—Walt Whitman
perejil
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby perejil » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:37 am

*mod edit*
Last edited by quietgirl2538 on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed links that depicts self-injury acts as per forum rules

—Walt Whitman
perejil
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby quietgirl2538 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:30 pm

perejil,
All links were removed because of this rule:

DO NOT POST GRAPHIC OR DESCRIPTIONS OF PLANS FOR OR ACTS OF SELF-INJURY OR SUICIDE.
DO NOT POST GRAPHIC OR DESCRIPTIONS OF ACTS OF VIOLENCE OF ANY KIND OUTSIDE THE SPECIFIC GROUP OF FORUMS "KIND OF ABUSE".

If the informational page didn't have those actual pictures of self-injury, it would have been fine, but as soon as you see these pages it cannot be posted.
“There’s an Asian expression that ‘a burden shared is halved.’"

Dx: Bipolar I and ADD
Lamictal 300mg
Wellbutrin XL 300mg
Vraylar 6 mg
diazepam p.r.n 10 mg twice a day
Elavil (Amitriptylin) 20mg for insomnia
Methylphenidate (Ritalin) 10mg

Forum Rules

PsychForum rules and Active Staff
quietgirl2538
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Blog: View Blog (81)

Re: Yami Kawaii *Trigger Warning*

Postby Snaga » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:44 pm

Ah partly my bad, I clicked on the links but didn't notice, QG. Still though it's not like someone interested can't look the term up so it doesn't harm the thread too much.

I used to not like anything graphic, but as I get older I think my attitude is changing, where I could see that being dark cute.

ISFP

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Snaga
Site Admin

Postby perejil » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:52 am

It's cool.

The term is easy enough to google. If anyone's curious, imagine Hello Kitty all pink and smiley but with a gun pointed at her head.

—Walt Whitman
perejil
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby perejil » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:13 am

It seems the therapeutic aspect (for those who actually take it seriously as "therapy" and are not just cashing in on a cute trend) is this:

1. It allows people to indirectly communicate dark desires/aspects of their personality to others when they would be too shy to express those things directly or they would be socially frowned on for expressing those things directly.

2. It allows people to indirectly ask for love/compassion and express a desire for closeness/understanding from others (perhaps even a childlike desire to be cared for) for when they would be too shy to express those things directly or they would be socially frowned on for expressing those things directly.

3. It allows them to transcend their mental illness by making it into art. It empowers them.

But I'm wondering whether it's really a way of taking back control from mental illness and practicing self love or whether it's a slightly manipulative, passive aggressive cry for attention that's holding them back/sort of getting them stuck in victim mode rather than allowing them to move on.

-- Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:23 pm --

Is the Hello Kitty thing against the rules? What is the forum policy towards describing imaginary acts of violence towards cartoon characters?

—Walt Whitman
perejil
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post