Our partner

I’m in distress and finding it hard to keep going

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.
*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

I’m in distress and finding it hard to keep going

Postby brokenwizard » Tue May 08, 2018 9:16 pm

Hey guys,

I’ve registered on here because I’m driving myself absolutely crazy with obsessive intrusive thoughts that are taking away all of my happiness.

I was ambitious, intelligent, successful. Then I got into a relationship which lasted for 8 years. My partner belittled me, ignored me, gaslighted me, completely isolated me from the rest of the world. I’ve always been a very gifted painter - since very young. It was my pride and joy in life - my everything. About halfway through that relationship, I painted something amazing - and then had a terrifying thought afterwards (which changed everything forever). The thought was: did I definitely just paint that? The painting felt too good to be something that I could ever create. Even though I knew I’d painted the picture - the thought didn’t stop. I wasn’t proud of my painting, I couldn’t even look at it, because of this doubt that took over my brain. After that, I’d continue to paint and then pretty much destroy my work afterwards - because I’d have the same thought each time (maybe I didn’t paint it. Maybe my crazy partner painted over it in some places to spite me - etc).

The relationship finally came to an end - and I escalated isolation. The doctor diagnosed me with PTSD - with disassociative disorder, caused by the trauma. I’m currently waiting for treatment.

I thought I was finally getting better this year, I was painting again and putting any irrational doubts to the back of my head. I thought I was out of the woods.

Then last week happened. I met my absolute celebrity idol by chance in a restaurant, it was brilliant - and I asked somebody to take a photo of us. (A stranger, who took it on my phone). When I saw the photo - I nearly died. Please bear with me on this part (it isn’t in a big-headed way whatsoever - I’m very distressed by what my brain is doing). Basically, I looked very very good in the photo. And out of nowhere, that awful life-sucking thought has returned. ‘Maybe that’s not me in the picture - it looks too nice to be me’. My jewellery and clothes and pose etc - I recognize it all. My family and friends have all said it’s definitely me. This photo is supposed to be something I can feel proud of and treasure for the rest of my life - my all time hero is it in afterall, once in a lifetime moment. But I’m
finding myself unable to look at it because of the doubts that it’s me in th my picture.

This is not a life and I CANNOT go on like this! I have an appointment with my doctor on Friday. I’m in a bad way - I’m so disconnected from myself that I don’t even recognize my artwork or my own photograph. It’s awful. I don’t see the point of living if I can’t accept the good things that happen in life. This feels like such an evil form of mental illness. It feels stronger than anything. Please help me.
brokenwizard
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:07 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: I’m in distress and finding it hard to keep going

Postby quietgirl2538 » Thu May 10, 2018 8:05 pm

Have you tried reading any posts in PTSD forum or the other abuse forums like Domestic Abuse?
“There’s an Asian expression that ‘a burden shared is halved.’"

Dx: Bipolar I and ADD
Lamictal 300mg
Wellbutrin XL 300mg
Vraylar 6 mg
diazepam p.r.n 10 mg twice a day
Elavil (Amitriptylin) 20mg for insomnia
Methylphenidate (Ritalin) 10mg

Forum Rules

PsychForum rules and Active Staff
quietgirl2538
Moderator: Consumer