Our partner

BPD v C-PTSD

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.
*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

BPD v C-PTSD

Postby snookiebookie » Tue May 08, 2018 3:35 pm

Hi. Currently waiting for assessment (appointment in around a month via NHS)

I currently identify with both BPD and C-PTSD, fitting most of the criteria for both. I am aware there's some debate that they overlap or are the same thing. Can people compare and contrast these two for me. What are the symptoms that are in both? What symptoms appear only in one condition/disorder. Is it common to have both?
No official DX but I still struggle with mental health issues constantly.
Symptoms of Social and Generalised Anxiety Disorder.
Strongly identify with Avoidant Personality Disorder.
Feel that I possibly have some kind of emotional trauma/Complex PTSD.
snookiebookie
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:34 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: BPD v C-PTSD

Postby ShowJumpingRabbit » Thu May 10, 2018 6:10 pm

I know that it's being said that there is much overlap between BPD and C-PTSD. And I'm not saying there isn't, but the amount of overlap is sometimes exaggerated. This is my amateur understanding of the differences.

- with BPD comes some form of exhibitionism (especially emotional), but with C-PTSD comes a form of psychological prostration.
- with BPD comes emotional lability (pwBPD will cycle fast between emotional stances sometimes over the course of a few sentences: cajoling, threatening, mirroring etc.), no such rapid cycling between vastly different emotions is part of C-PTSD.
- pwBPD feel justified in having their needs met (hence the manipulation & rages), C-PTSD doesn't entail any form of entitlement.
- with C-PTSD comes jumpiness in all shapes & form (having nightmares, being easily startled and overall hypervigilance), for this reason, pwC-PTSD will likely have it easier resisting fits of impulsivity than pwBPD who will tend to give in to them.

snookiebookie wrote:.... But still an all round good egg.

Keep rolling :)
ShowJumpingRabbit
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:34 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post