Our partner

Pain threshold

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.
*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

At which of the following stages would you say you were in physical pain?

0: Absence of pain
No votes
1: Slight pain (feeling of discomfort)
No votes
2: Moderate pain
No votes
3: Severe pain
No votes
4: Extreme pain (to the point of fainting)
No votes

Total votes : 0

Pain threshold

Postby bbanner » Sat May 05, 2018 11:56 pm

Hi all,

sorry if this is a wrong forum to post this question in; it's a general question aimed towards all members, and I hope it makes sense in the way it is phrased. I apologise if my post is in any way a trigger for physical pain.

I've come to realize my best friend and I process physical pain very differently. Of course, it is very difficult to estimate which person has a higher threshold for pain because it's impossible to figure out how intense an experience was (without any tools, e.g. brainscanning). The only time we were able to make a "vaguely scientific" comparison is when we once accidentally slammed our fingers in the door within a minute of each other, and she yelled much louder than me but her injury was less severe than mine.

However, my question is a different one. Understanding what pain means is not just physical but also semantical. I am aware that the categories I have given in the poll are absolutely not conclusive, but let's pretend the scale goes from 0 - there being no pain, and then from 1-4 presence of pain in different amounts. I'm trying to figure out whether people approach the question of feeling pain differently based on the level of discomfort they feel on average in their daily life. My thesis is that if you are in the state of no pain for most of the time (i.e. "absence of pain" is your default state), then you would consider yourself in pain if you feel anything between 1-4. However, if your default state is not 0, then you would probably consider "pain" to be 2, 3 or 4, despite the fact that 1 is also semantically "pain".

Again, this is just my thesis - I'm going at it from my personal perspective, as I have some neurological condition that makes my nerves constantly itchy and I cannot remember a time when I have been physically relaxed. I would score it as 1 (discomfort) and would say I'm in pain when I would feel 3. However, I am really interested whether people define 1 as pain as well, since it means "presence of pain". In summary, my question is: when you're in pain, does it mean for you that you feel a presence of pain, or that the pain is too intense to normally handle?
bbanner
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:18 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post