Our partner

Help.

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.

Moderator: quietgirl2538

*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

Help.

Postby nicole2015 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:13 pm

I m worried that I might be a sociopath/psychopath. The main reason why I think this is because I was very mean to animals when I was kid. I don t know why I was, but I have been reading up on signs of sociopathy/psyhcopathy in children and this is one of the biggest signs. I never got in serious trouble as a kid like in school or anything. I never really had friends, I always stick to myself and would just swing by myself at recess. I started wanting to make friends in junior high though and wanting to fit in more. I just need help because I don t want to be a sociopath/psychopath. The idea of me being one makes me want to cry. I want to be normal person. However, I start to doubt myself and my emotions. Like, "do I really feel this emotion or am I just making myself feel this to try to make myself think I m not a sociopath?" I literally doubt every emotion I feel and every mistake I ve ever made, I connect it to me being a sociopath. Like I said, the main reason I think I am one is because I was cruel to animals as a child and this is a sign. I know I need to talk to a healthcare professional, but don t know if I can handle the truth. I m worried I ll get diagnosed a sociopath, I don t know if I can live with that. I just don t why I was the way I was as a child, that s what scares me. Any thoughts are appreciated.
nicole2015
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:41 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Help.

Postby Wally58 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:36 pm

I didn't do anger very well as a child. I also regret and am ashamed of what I did now. Anger shouldn't do that. Were you being cruel out of inner anger?
I love cats and dogs. I mostly wound up hurting myself, but I did beat up my younger siblings and abused a dog with a friend and cat by myself once. Things that I will never forget.
I think as long as you haven't done anything lately and now realize that what you did was wrong, you may be OK.
Still, for peace of mind, you may want to confide in a counselor or clergy to give you some perspective on your past action and relieve the shame. Remorse is a learning tool. Holding it in can keep us sick.
My own rage once made me fearful. Later it kept me drunk. It is a very powerful emotion and one that has to be held in at appropriate times and expressed appropriately when released.
I had to learn how to do anger right. It takes time.
Best of luck to you. :D
Wally58
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:41 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Rudetalks » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:13 am

Chill, You are not a sociopath. A sociopath/Psychopath will never feel bad of being one as you do. Rather you are too distraught to be a sociopath.
Rudetalks
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:11 pm

Postby Dnester » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:49 pm

No you arent because if you were you would still be doing it and wouldnt care. A wise therapist once told me children cant be held responsible for what they do because they dont understand ramifications.
Dnester
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:41 am

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum