Our partner

Insomnia in Young People Associated with Later Dementia

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.

Moderator: quietgirl2538

*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

Insomnia in Young People Associated with Later Dementia

Postby iemata19 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:39 pm

I've seen studies throughout the years about bad sleep patterns and REM affecting the brain leading to dementia. This has me freaked out, my 90 year grandfathre died of Dementia. I'm 35 and I've been waking up early for years (4am-530am) without falling back asleep on 4-5 hours of sleep. Can someone please help me understand the actual risk, with real numbers please, I dont understand these.

Here is link: https://www.taiwan-healthcare.org/medic ... ypeSysid=A

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5804010/
iemata19
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:32 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Insomnia in Young People Associated with Later Dementia

Postby shock_the_monkey » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:45 pm

candidly, i think there's a fundamental misconception here. insomnia and dementia are both effects. it's the cause that might be the link between them. that's to say that insomnia doesn't cause dementia. it's possibly a precursor to dementia.

and there's another misconception here too. insomnia is the inability to fall asleep, not waking up early.

i suffer from insomnia. my sleep cycle is completely shot. usually, i fall asleep between 06:00 and 08:00. and i typically need 8 to 10 hours of sleep to feel alright.

now, back when i was fruitarian, i'd fall asleep at 00:00 and wake up at 06:00, like clockwork. And i'd feel really good too. no grogginess at all. the thing is, with my fruit diet i was getting 4 times the amount of nutrition that i had been previously. and that made a big difference to my brain chemistry. sleep is nearly all about the brain functioning well.

so, you don't appear to have insomnia, per se. and the amount of sleep that people need varies enormously, precisely because of what i've just said. so, the question that you really need to ask yourself is whether you're doing alright on your 4 to 5 hours of sleep.
something knocked me out' the trees
now i'm on my knees
... don't you know you're gonna shock the monkey

there is one thing you must be sure of
i can't take any more
... don't you know you're gonna shock the monkey

don't like it but i guess i'm learning

... shock the monkey to life
shock_the_monkey
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:32 pm