Our partner

Multiple comorbid conditions...

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.
*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

Multiple comorbid conditions...

Postby aliceKitten » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:28 pm

Okay so I'm new here.. I'm 45 yr fem. Diagnosed a few years ago as high functioning autism after a lifetime of accumulating mental illness diagnosis to include clinical deprepression, bipolar disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, social anxiety disorder, borderline personality disorder, adult ADD, Disassociative disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, severe PTSD, otherwise non specific schizophrenia, and now Disassociative identity disorder..... Now I do realize as a female of my age with autism that many of these diagnosis were misdiagnosis identifying my autistic traits. However some of them are not and some of them are considered to be in addition to my autistic traits, such as the generalized anxiety disorder. .... I mean trying to figure out which ones are real and which ones are misdiagnosed has been so hard. The psychiatrists just says he doesn't see the autism and keeps throwing more pills at me and I don't really seem to be getting any better. ... Trying make sense of all this is like imagining each diagnosis is a child and you hand each child a can of silly string and tell them all to spray at once facing each other in a circle and trying detangle the mess afterwards into some kind of linear, cohesive, set of lines! I'm just at a complete loss now. My anxiety is so high that I'm sick all the time. The Drs are telling me I have fibromyalgia now too.. In addition to arthritis, diabetes, lactose intolerance, narcolepsy with cataplexy, sleep apnea, chronic headaches with frequent migraines, acid reflux, and GURD! I'm lost and confused most of the time and in an emotional out burst or having a meltdown the rest of the time it seems like. And I'm a single mom of a child diagnosed 1 yr ago with ADHD, high functioning autism, and otherwise non specific schizophrenia... I need guidance, advice, suggestion, direction, ideas... Something! I don't know how to make things better and my therapist is talking about some kind of technique (A.R.T. I think she said) that might make me remember suppressed memories of childhood sexual assault that I'm terrified of remembering. It makes want to vomit to even think of knowing ALL details when I only remember a few... ... ... (Cries)
aliceKitten
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:23 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Multiple comorbid conditions...

Postby voracious_lemon » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:33 pm

Been around that bend a few times. Psychotic depression, bipolar, schizophrenia, schizoaffective, borderline personality disorder, GAD, PTSD, autism spectrum disorder, and a few NOS's here and there when it's pretty much just bipolar and PTSD. The exact diagnosis isn't necessary, but it's good to know generally what's going on for treatment purposes (pharmaceutical drugs esp). Afterall, you don't want to be put on antidepressants if you actually have bipolar/schizoaffective and are prone to mania. However, schizophrenia, schizoaffective, and bipolar are commonly misdiagnosed but it doesn't really matter because antipsychotics treat all three of them. Just an example.

Keep working with whoever is diagnosing and treating you. Ask him why he doesn't see autism and have a discussion from there. Be patient with his process, and if he seems like a dunderhead you can't work with, switch psychiatrists.
All I saw was the Devil's soul
And it looked a helluva lot like my own
voracious_lemon
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:23 am
Blog: View Blog (10)

Re: Multiple comorbid conditions...

Postby Goofey » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:03 pm

If you don't want to do the art therapy don't.
You're free to switch psychiatrists.
Maybe one that specializes in autism (ideally in woman with autism) could help you unravel this diagnostic mess.
Goofey
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:23 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post