Our partner

I feel no empathy or any emotions, but I still laugh/smile/c

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.

Moderator: quietgirl2538

*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

I feel no empathy or any emotions, but I still laugh/smile/c

Postby PensiveTeen » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:51 pm

Hello. I have been thinking about this a lot lately, and I'm sorry if this sounds quite edgy, but I really need help.

I have zero empathy towards anyone. (Really close friends, family, etc) If my friend comes over to me, because they had just lost someone really close to them, I feel nothing, it doesn't matter to me. I would just say "Sorry" even tho I'm thinking "I don't even care".

Also, I have noticed that when someone says a joke and I laugh, it actually isn't funny to me at all, but I still laugh. It's same with smiling and other emotions. Whenever I get a birthday present, I smile even tho I ain't happy. I literally feel nothing but my brain makes me smile, laugh, cry, frown, etc. It is kind of confusing, I guess.

Whenever someone gets hurt psychically, I feel some kind of pleasure from it. I guess I am sadistic? I can, for example, watch really gory/bloody scenes from movies without feeling disgust or any fear.

I can manipulate, but it doesn't mean I'm good at it. I'm usually really honest.

All of this could be because of the emotional and psychical abuse I received from my father when I was younger. I was really happy kid, but he basically ruined my childhood.

And no, I do not use any drugs, alcohol or smoke. I want to live healthy life. I also aren't in no way interested in being an criminal.

I'd like to know more what kind of mental disorder I might have, because if there is a way to fix this, I want to know. I want to be considered as a normal person. You know, be happy and feel emotions.
PensiveTeen
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:32 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: I feel no empathy or any emotions, but I still laugh/smile/c

Postby z7z » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:31 am

No empathy, feelings of schadenfreude (joy in other's misery), abused as a child sound like symptoms that a psychiatrist could help you pinpoint. Traumatic childhoods in particular can cause personality issues in adults. Just know that it's very common and treatable if you are willing to commit to therapy and possibly medication if necessary.

You may want to read on PTSD or borderline personality disorder to see if they fit you (I'm not saying they do). Also a label to your problems is somewhat helpful if you fit into a category but not everyone does. More important is treating your symptoms and helping you lead a happy productive life. A psychiatrist will be more helpful for a diagnosis but discussing it with people on here can be just as helpful.

PS I also have a blunted affect towards death. I think because of the violence in movies, games, and news. It's like I don't want to feel a sad emotion so I just feel nothing and empty as a coping mechanism.
Disclaimer: Nobody knows nothing
z7z
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:32 am

Postby themissingme » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:55 pm

I am a BPD but I can feel intensive emotions, so it's only when I numbed I can't feel anything.
not feeling emotions leading to no empathy -> is probably a coping mechanism that "attempts to keep you safe".

it's best to speak to a Clinical Psychologist for a proper diagnosis and to get some emotional support. It's such a lonely life not being able to feel the real emotions.. I felt very lonely and empty when I was numbed so I had to constantly remind myself and be aware of the numbing when it happens.

I am sorry that you are not feeling much and I can see that you are probably in a lot of pain (that's why you get pleasure when you see others in pain, not because you are cold hearted, maybe your pain can be "released" in that way. I hope you can feel something and have feelings for yourself, have feelings and empathy for your own pain one day.. so you can be truly "alive" and your pain can be set free.. :-)
themissingme
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:32 am

Postby cyberart » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:53 pm

I just read this post and can join with the same symptoms I am totally apathetic and still looking for solution, the diagnose that was told to me is - emotional deprivation, actually still looking for good therapist that can help me. otherwise the life is nightmare, I feel empty and drained and no meaning in my life at all. *mod edit*
Last edited by Snaga on Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: sorry, but we don't allow recommendations on specific professionals, as promotion of a particular mental health practitioner would be against forum rules- your query could not be answered without someone violating that, please try inquiring locally, thank
cyberart
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:32 pm

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post