Our partner

Why can I feel happy but not sad anymore?

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.
*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

Why can I feel happy but not sad anymore?

Postby alexsheathes » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:19 pm

I used to be sad most of the time and a lot of things could easily upset me, but now, I don't feel sad anymore. If I do, it feels muted. I really do want to feel that deep level of sadness again (I guess I'm confortable with it) but I can't no matter how much I try, and usually when that happens, it leaves me feeling quite uncomfortable.

I would've thought it was feeling numb, as most of the time now I just feel emotionless and nothing, but when I'm with friends and doing something fun I can actually be happy and have a good time. (But I guess as soon as I'm not with them anymore, I immediately resort back to being neutral.)

I don't know if it's worth mentioning, but I also can't concentrate and get distracted easily, I get irritated easily and I don't feel like I can emotionally empathise with people very well anymore (I used to be able to last time). E.g. I have a friend who may be depressed, but all I feel towards him sometimes is just coldness and I get annoyed when people talk about it (perhaps because I really know how it feels yet no one has ever noticed? I don't know).

Sorry that this is so long. I would appreciate it if anyone could help figure anything out or give advice, and if there's any way I could feel sad (normal) again? Thank you
alexsheathes
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:15 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Why can I feel happy but not sad anymore?

Postby Holodeck » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:10 pm

Did anything happen that you feel may have "turned off/locked away" your sadness? I had a series of events that made me lock up a bunch of my emotions. I've gotten some back, but not like I used to have.
Holodeck
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:15 pm

Re: Why can I feel happy but not sad anymore?

Postby alexsheathes » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:11 am

Oh I see. The only thing I can think of was being quite emotional before then (but this is kind of normal for me). I do remember feeling a very deep sadness before then but I can't pinpoint to a specific event or reason for it.
alexsheathes
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:15 am

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post