Our partner

can't keep a job

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.
*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

can't keep a job

Postby ttt123 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:07 am

Didn't finish high school, dropped out of 3 colleges, never keep a job. Feel like a drug addict destroying my own life and people can't trust me anymore to follow through on anything.
ttt123
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:00 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: can't keep a job

Postby rms18 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:50 pm

Do you suffer from Anxiety? I used to be the same and my Anxiety was often my reason for doing this.
rms18
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:00 am

Postby ttt123 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:03 pm

rms18 wrote:Do you suffer from Anxiety? I used to be the same and my Anxiety was often my reason for doing this.

Yes. But also schizoaffective disorder (depressive type).
ttt123
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby rms18 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:28 am

Well I am no expert on what you suffer from but for me, I used to get really hyped and upbeat about the idea of getting into working or starting a new job. The fact that it was all new kept my mind off the anxiety and such things to begin with, I was focused on it all (making a good starting impression etc) and that was what kept my thoughts from racing.

The issue for me was once I got comfortable in the job, then it became routine and I didn't need to focus so much as I did at the start as I was becoming used to it all (no longer needing to impress or whatever as I was pretty much in the job then). That is when my anxiety and such all came flowing back as It then just simply slipped into my daily routine again. This is when I would end up giving up the job as I couldn't handle being anxious at work.

With that in mind I no longer even give a moments thought to jobs where I won't be busy all the time with different tasks and roles. If I know the job will be me ending up sitting some of the time with too much time to think then I know I'll just end up in the same position as I mentioned above.

I am guessing you are looking into help for your issues with your anxiety and disorder. Which is ultimately the main thing you need to focus on to allow yourself to be more stable in a job, but I would also suggest you find something that will really keep you busy/interested and not allow you to slump and get into the mode where you no longer want to be there.

All easier said than done I know. But I feel it is all about really getting your mind into the job, which is alot different to just being there and doing the job to earn money.
rms18
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby ttt123 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:56 am

I do have some anxiety working but I would keep going off my medications and think every one is against me and picking on me and quit. If I get another job I am staying on my medications and think I can handle it just need the chance.
ttt123
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby rms18 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:23 pm

There is your answer. You need to keep up with the medications 100%. Never try to stop them yourself. The only person who can help you come off medication that has been given to you is your doctor who will give you the correct way to taper off of it (but that is something you need to discuss whether or not is a good idea with your doctor). You are doing yourself no favours not taking them.

Take your medication, keep your mind busy on the job.
rms18
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby quietgirl2538 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:27 pm

I have bipolar I. I take my meds every night and I'm not perfect because a couple times or so, in the past, I have stopped them or skipped so much that I became unstable and there we go around again. Working towards getting me better. It's unnecessary suffering. It can be easier said than done, though. But you need a good support system. Be strong.
“There’s an Asian expression that ‘a burden shared is halved.’"

(Please contact another Moderator)

Forum Rules

PsychForum rules and Active Staff
quietgirl2538
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:00 am
Blog: View Blog (88)

Postby ttt123 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:38 pm

Thanks, working with my therapist using ACT therapy skills to try to keep jobs and taking my medications.
ttt123
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby ttt123 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:55 am

Just got a job going to do my best to keep at this one, with the help of my therapist and staying on medications.
ttt123
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby quietgirl2538 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:13 am

Awesome! Let us know how your journey goes. Share here if you want about how you do day to day or week to week, just as you are able to and can do it.
“There’s an Asian expression that ‘a burden shared is halved.’"

(Please contact another Moderator)

Forum Rules

PsychForum rules and Active Staff
quietgirl2538

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:00 am
Blog: View Blog (88)

Next

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum