Our partner

can't keep a job

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.
*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

Re: can't keep a job

Postby ttt123 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:16 am

First day, think I'm not liked there already, but they are having me coming tomorrow cause they need me but don't think a lot of the girls working there like me that much, I'm kind of socially awkward and don't know how to chime into groups of people talking.
ttt123
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:22 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Andybee » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:23 am

I know the feeling. I used to be like this all the time. As I got older I realised that I wasn’t getting anywhere or making any advancement. If you can separate what you THINK is happening to what is ACTUALLY happening in the workplace it can make things easier.

What I mean by this is that there are often times where I THINK a work colleague is talking about me or that I’m useless at my job or whatever negative thought pops into my head. I used to act on these thoughts and either leave or get upset or whatever and the cycle kept repeating over the years.

Now, some jobs are rubbish and you should leave if you’re not happy, but, some jobs are really great if you can start fighting through those negative thoughts. I say ‘fight’ because it can be a real challenge to tell yourself to stay at work (or even get out of bed) when those thoughts happen.

I now say to myself, ‘good days-bad days’ meaning some days are rubbish and some days are great but I stay at work because earning a wage and sticking at a job bring more stability over time than the continual new job/leaving cycle. If you can stick it then you’ll work your way up, learning mental strength and endurance along the way and you’ll be one the strongest people amongst your colleagues.
All the best
Andybee
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:22 am

Postby ttt123 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:03 pm

Went in to work and stuck it out and practiced mindfulness while working helped, and the day went well, they like the job i do, normally I would of quit cause I think everyone is against me.
ttt123
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby quietgirl2538 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:34 pm

I'm so glad ttt123 that you feel ok. Keep us updated, as you can.
“There’s an Asian expression that ‘a burden shared is halved.’"

(Please contact another Moderator)

Forum Rules

PsychForum rules and Active Staff
quietgirl2538
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:22 am
Blog: View Blog (88)

Postby ttt123 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:09 am

I ended up quiting my job, I was ready to go to work but just couldn't go and I'm not sure why, I had no good reason, it was going okay.

I thought about it, and have a theory:
Growing up with two mentally ill parents, there was always a crisis and instability, both my parents couldn't keep jobs, there was never anything to eat, no rules at home, not much parenting, we would get evicted and move every year, my parents would act bizzare and do crazy things, like my dad throwing furniture out windows to clean.
so...
I've been always creating crisis as an adult, like quitting jobs for no good reason. I get paranoid when things are okay and come up with complicated delusions that something really bad is going to happen, because when things are just okay, I get this overwhelming feeling something is "wrong" I don't know what is "wrong" so I start getting paranoid that people are against me, or do something like spend all my grocery money on dumb things I don't need, then I am with out food for the rest of the month, or quit a job, then something really is wrong, and I repeat the "wrong" cycle over and over. It's like something always has to be "wrong" and I get scared if things are just okay.

Does that make sense, or am I over thinking it? If my theory is true, then what do I do about it?
ttt123
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Andybee » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:31 am

The only real way around this is to try and break that cycle and it’s a difficult one to break, I know I come from a very similar background. If you can get some therapy whilst your trying to break this cycle then all the better. Pay for it yourself if the government won’t and think of the cost as essential life changing self investment.
Andybee
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:22 am

Postby Ousidetheuniverse » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:03 am

Hey me to man

Can't keep a job either

Been paranoid since the age of five when I got a head injury
Ousidetheuniverse
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:22 am

Postby ttt123 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:02 pm

It's been a year and I quit another job after a week. I couldn't think straight, it's a high stress job and was having trouble remembering little but important things and making dumb mistakes left and right. My coworkers don't know that I have a mental illness, so they are just getting mad and annoyed with me for doing dumb mistakes. Increased my anxiety and stress levels and made me make even more mistakes. I don't know why under stress I have poor short term memory and bad judgement?
ttt123
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Previous

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum