Our partner

Do "mentally ill" people generaly not like TV sports ?

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.
*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

Sports

6%
Dislike
94%

Total votes : 17

Do "mentally ill" people generaly not like TV sports ?

Postby Copy_Cat » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:14 pm

I don't like the title so I put mentally ill in quotes cause I did not have enough room to explain.

The question is do people who sometimes struggle with mental health issues generally not like TV sports ?

I was around some so called "normal" people today and they started in with the sports talk and all I could do is look at the cieling for a second and ask myself who really cares ?

This team and those players and these scores who do you think will win on and on who really cares.

Maybe its my attention "deficit" or something but I have always had to fake enthusiasm if I was to avoid being rude. wow they scored isn't that great ya go team.

Football has to be the worse, 10 seconds of action then watch them stand around for a few minutes then maybe another few seconds of action then time out wait wait wait this is SO boring why do people watch this ?

Is it just me ?
I survived psychiatry.
Copy_Cat
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:21 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Do "mentally ill" people generaly not like TV sports ?

Postby Copy_Cat » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:26 pm

I hit edit and added a poll.
I survived psychiatry.
Copy_Cat
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby onzello » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:43 am

Im with you, copy cat, I can't stand to watch sports. I dont care if it's a "big game" or what, it just bores
me to death. I think baseball is worse than football though. None of the people I have known who have
had mental issues have been into sports either. Maybe it's more exiting to watch sports live ?

-OnzellO
onzello
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:21 am

Postby Copy_Cat » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:58 am

onzello wrote: None of the people I have known who have
had mental issues have been into sports either.

That was something I thought I sort of noticed that inspired me to post this. Thanks.

I really don't hang out with any "normal" people. They bore me.

I think the definition of "normal" is here http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... uburbanite LOL

I think maybe the 'healthy' or 'normal' people are ill and we are just often made sick by them.

Whats the antonym of mentally ill anyway ?
I survived psychiatry.
Copy_Cat
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Copy_Cat » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:10 am

PS I am recovered from mental illness.

I was certainly not doing well at all for a wile, MI been there done that . I still don't like TV sports or 'normal' what ever that means.
I survived psychiatry.
Copy_Cat
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Otter » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:07 am

I generally don't like sports that much. I did when I was younger, but as I got older, I thought to myself, "is this all there is to the white, middle class, suburban experience?" that I saw around me. Each year, the same old thing. And then I realized that it's SUPPOSED to be the same old thing, year after year...

...they have a word for it... umm...

...oh yeah, tradition. :?

PLus the racism, advertising, etc. No thanks.

I guess I'm talking mostly about Football. I don't mind Baseball.

HOWEVER, I will say - when I am a suffering period of mania I may turn on a game, turn down the volume and just LOOK At it. Knowing that it is happening "live", gives me some peace. It's a way of socializing without being with people. I know that sounds odd.. but...

...I"m mentally ill! :mrgreen:

Otter
Image Otter Space Man
Otter
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:21 am

Postby LesMisJim » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:55 am

As a college kid hanging out with roomates I was definitely into "TV sports". Also I practiced Judo, and discussed that along with mma with my roomates who also did Judo. When I developed a severe mental illness after school I never thought about any sports. I was totally ensconced in my hallucinations, and my desire to be free of them. This went on for over a year. When I finally was beginning to become free of them. One thing I did a lot of to distract myself, was get into "TV sports" and discuss them with my dad. It helped me to bring my mind back to the tangible world, along with other things like politics, and anything that could take my mind off of my symptoms. I still like "TV sports", even though I don't watch much TV, I check up on standings and articles about them daily. It's probably one of my biggest sources of procrastination actually.

I also love going to games if I get the chance. Anyway I would definitely boor TS because I can talk a lot about "TV sports" without being distracted. Granted I don't hang out much these days in general.
LesMisJim
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:21 am

Postby Copy_Cat » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:39 pm

You forgot to vote.
I survived psychiatry.
Copy_Cat
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby CoffeeCup » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:03 pm

I have no interest in regular sports at all, but I do enjoy watching StarCraft II and Counter-Strike matches and tournaments. In my particular case, I think my dislike for regular sports may be related to my dislike of "real" or "realistic" entertainment.

What I mean by that is that I often use entertainment as an escape from the real world. When other people or just my own thoughts get me down, it often helps if I immerse myself in a story that is far removed from regular, everyday life. For that reason I tend to prefer genres like sci-fi, fantasy and horror. Drama, romance, sitcoms, anything that remotely smells of real life I avoid like the plague.

I've noticed that pretty much none of the people I've felt compatible with enjoyed sports either, even people who, as far as I know, do not have a mental illness. I have met people with mental issues who did like sports, though, including one that was a huge fan of American wrestling. Granted, that's really a scripted thing, more like a TV show I guess, but still.

Voting "dislike", since I personally don't enjoy sports and I at least feel like people with mental problems are less likely to be into sports.
CoffeeCup
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:21 am

Postby Curious_Person » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:11 am

I do not like standard/mainstream physical sports that most people seem to enjoy.

I do however think e-sports are ok. never seem to keep my interest for that long though. i don't like competitiveness.
Curious_Person
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:51 pm

Next

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post