Our partner

Depression?

Light therapy message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Depression?

Postby Maenad » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:10 am

I was told 2 conflicting stories by 2 therapist. One told me that it's only effective on people with SAD and not those with major depression. The other told me it was useful. Who's right?
Maenad
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:42 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Depression?

Postby Crazy Cat Lady » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:13 am

This is from Wikipedia:

Non-seasonal depression

Light therapy has also been suggested in the treatment of non-seasonal depression and other psychiatric disturbances, including major depressive disorder, bipolar disorder[20] and postpartum depression.[21][22] A meta-analysis by the Cochrane Collaboration concluded that "for patients suffering from non-seasonal depression, light therapy offers modest though promising antidepressive efficacy."[23] A more recent meta-analysis from Journal of Affective Disorders confirms this and is even more hopeful: "Overall, bright light therapy is an excellent candidate for inclusion into the therapeutic inventory available for the treatment of nonseasonal depression today, as adjuvant therapy to antidepressant medication, or eventually as stand-alone treatment for specific subgroups of depressed patients."[24]

Hope that helps. Good luck!
I would say what scares me is that I'm going to ultimately find out...that I'm really not lovable, that I'm not worthy of being loved. That there's something fundamentally wrong with me.
-Demi Moore
Crazy Cat Lady
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:42 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Light Therapy