Our partner

What are you listening to?

Forget about mental illness for a while and just let loose in here.

Moderator: Tyler

Re: What are you listening to?

Postby Snaga » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:04 pm

Oblivion wrote:There's music that I've first discovered in the summer and also there's music that just sounds like summer...

True that.

And then there's music that's both....

Sorry- it's cheesy, it's from a musical- it's a dirty job, but someone has to post this stuff. I remember when you couldn't turn on the Top 40 radio without hearing this song. I'll always associate it with being piled in the back of a station wagon, heading to the beach for the day with a picnic lunch, to get sunburnt while smelling like Hawaiian Tropic.

Summer Nights (Grease)- Olivia Newton-John & John Travolta
https://youtu.be/A_J2bcNx3Gw

Oblivion wrote:I'm not finished:

Glad you weren't. The first selection was pretty good, but I find I really like The Last. Is it just me, or do they not strongly remind one of The Byrds?

Tell someone today you love them, for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also confusing and terrifying.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:50 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Oblivion » Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:43 am

Snaga wrote:

I must have been about 10 when that movie opened and I went to see it like 50 times. It was the thing to do. I had the soundtrack album. "You're The One That I Want" is a great song. "Summer Nights", I suppose would be the hit single. And "Hopelessly Devoted To You" was when you got up and went to the snack bar.

Is it just me, or do they not strongly remind one of The Byrds?

They do a little. I'm sure they were influences. Moving ahead a couple years, this one is sublime.

Oblivion
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Snaga » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:26 pm

Oblivion wrote:They do a little. I'm sure they were influences. Moving ahead a couple years, this one is sublime.

Keep it up, I may have to look for a CD of them or something.

Meanwhile I heard this one for the first time in a long time, and had forgot how much I liked this song.

Every Time I Think Of You- The Babys
https://youtu.be/9jqruhCiwd0

Tell someone today you love them, for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also confusing and terrifying.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Postby Oblivion » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:17 pm

Snaga wrote:

Every Time I Think Of You- The Babys
https://youtu.be/9jqruhCiwd0

That hair! Weird how I grew up with pop star hairdos like that nut they seem so ridiculous now. Definitely channeling some Aladdin Sane era Bowie there.

I remember the Babys peripherally, but can't remember any of their songs.

I wanted to post "Lies" but nobody uploaded it so here's the whole album ("LIes" is the first song).
The album was recorded in 1980 but not released until last year.

Oblivion
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Oblivion » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:02 pm

"Confession" is my favorite album as they upped the tempo and played a bit more aggressively.

Oblivion
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Snaga » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:40 am

Still working through that album but I'll get there...

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Snaga
Site Admin

Postby Oblivion » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:17 pm

Snaga wrote:Still working through that album but I'll get there...

I'm just trying to get to some other stuff as summer is half over and I'm getting sick of it.

Coming soon: the last The Last post.
Oblivion
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Snaga » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:22 am

Getting sick of summer? Personally, I'm rockin' the mid-to-high 90s and 1,000,000% humidity.

Well maybe not.

I worked through the latest Last. Very listenable. Maybe it was just me but I thought I caught a few Elvis Costelloish vibes as well. I don't know, I don't know much. But it made for good modding music.

A post I read made this one pop in my head. And makes me think summer, sort of- of course, when you live in a place where it's summer more of the year than it isn't.. not a whole lot is decidedly un-summery for me. Oh there are a few Winter things. If we keep this kind of thing up, I'll be posting the Moody Blues on some frosty clear night. But not today.

Is She Really Going Out With Him?- Joe Jackson
https://youtu.be/FY9Rl_oRjWY

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Snaga
Site Admin

Postby Oblivion » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:56 pm

^Elvis Costello reminds me of High School and MTV when they still played music.

I'm sick of The Last. Time to move on.

Oblivion
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Snaga » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:15 am

Oblivion wrote:^Elvis Costello reminds me of High School and MTV when they still played music.

I wonder at what point in age is crossed, below which people do not have a memory of MTV in fact playing music videos as their raison d'être?

Very tempted to post The Buggles, obviously, now- but I will resist that urge because I don't necessarily associate it with any season.

Ah, I will post this one, however... A springtimey-summery song in my brain. Actually I probably associate it with summer school- which I voluntarily signed up for, for personal reasons, two summers in a row in high school. Especially before my senior year, to make room for classes of my own choosing and get some required ones out of the way. A shame I no longer show that kind of initiative- that ended long, long ago...

Living in Florida at the time and Tom was from Gainesville, I don't need to say there was an awful lot of Petty on the radio, back in the day. Tom was a homeboy. Along with The Allman Brothers, Molly Hatchet, and The Outlaws, to name several. Sunshine State was hoppin' with the Southern Rock back in the day. I'd go back to the 70s in a heartbeat.

Refugee- Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
https://youtu.be/fFnOfpIJL0M

Oblivion wrote:I'm sick of The Last. Time to move on.

I feel as if I should know that tune, Emma. But I don't recall Slovenly right offhand.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Snaga
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Just For Fun

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post