Our partner

Pretty dark thoughts

Forget about mental illness for a while and just let loose in here.

Moderator: Tyler

Pretty dark thoughts

Postby TriggerTheStomatopod » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:20 pm

I'm just wondering about something.

When you would go to hell. Like you ###$ up bigtime, do you get to know the reason you went to hell?
Or do you reset, and get stripped from that knowledge?
Because you could be able to say "fair enough". But not if you're stripped.
You might never get why.

You would just get reset, and thrown in hell, not ever knowing the reason why because you would be able to be able to accept it. And you're not meant to.

Maybe if no-one knew in the first place, maybe all the people in hell wouldn't even be able to recognize it as such. Just live aweful lives.. not even knowing context or why and just... yeah isn't that pretty scary?
It could be you know? It could very well be.
Makes all the difference for me.

Phrased the title afterwards.
TriggerTheStomatopod
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:34 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Pretty dark thoughts

Postby TriggerTheStomatopod » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:32 pm

I think it could actually be a good topic for a book you know.

About a group of people that already got thrown into hell.

And not even knowing... why... or even recognizing hell itsself as such. And... thát being part of the punishment.

But then together they start working out what they might be living in. A conspiracy with god-like or well devil-like proportions in this case.

Because being able to recognize hell as such could already alleviate the pain. Bring acceptance.
And thát should be avoided at all costs as well.
So a group of people getting a hunch that something bigger is going on is the beginning of "beating" the whole trap of hell itsself.
Would make for an amazing book or film IMO =D

Oh well. Somebody pick it up, I don't feel bothered protecting it or selling the idea in anyway. Would like to see it filmed or something hehe.

Wasn't my best moment in life developing this idea could tell you that.
TriggerTheStomatopod
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby Snaga » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:06 pm

Moved to the off-topic forums.

I would think that people wouldn't be 'reset'. I think part of Hell would be knowing why you were there....

IF you were self-aware enough, to understand your sins.

What you describe (the idea for a book) has been done, in part- one of my favorite set of books, actually.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inferno_( ... elle_novel)

Inferno is a quasi-horror novel by science-fiction authors Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. written back in 1976.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_from_Hell_(novel)

Escape From Hell was their 2009 sequel to the first novel.

The novels follow the adventures of a science fiction writer that dies and goes to Hell, and tries to escape- it's based loosely on Dante's Inferno, and also on CS Lewis' The Great Divorce. I won't give spoilers, there's more info in the Wikipedia links. The premise of the books is that there is a God and Hell, but that Hell need not be eternal- it was possible (though very difficult) to escape and ascend to Purgatory- not Heaven, yet- but a step in the right direction.

A lot of the people the main protagonist meets in Hell, are in self-denial of their sins that placed them in their particular level of Hell. Which is what I'd think would be more likely, than people intentionally having their memory wiped. Humans are awfully good, on our own, of self-denial or having selective amnesia- I see no necessity for a supernatural being to help us along in that.

Perhaps the characters in those two books, that are the closest to the idea you had, are the people in the circle of righteous heathens- people who were not Christian, but didn't do anything in particular to deserve a hellish Hell. They lived (eternally, of course) in nice villas, and wanted for nothing, and weren't in eternal torment. However, they were of course in a prison- they couldn't (or wouldn't) leave the security of the compound they were relegated to. They didn't necessarily want to be there, but were unwilling to leave and try to escape Hell. So they lived in somewhat partial ignorance, not believing the protagonist when he tried to tell them of a way out.

Tell someone today you love them, for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also confusing and terrifying.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:34 am

Postby TriggerTheStomatopod » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:21 pm

Makes sense that it has already been thought of hehe.

It did get me thinking.

Perhaps it starts out very differently.

Maybe just a happy life for everyone except one big sign in town saying "You are in hell". And gradually people just... like "how do you mean?", "this is not bad at all" and then gradually panick starts over the course of years where people really lose their minds over not knowing why it would be hell or anything, or what their future might hold in that case, just freaking out over the possibility haha.

Oh well.

Perhaps this is the start of one of those days I sometimes have. All kinds of crazy stuff lol.

Edit:
This could be a very mainstream idea though, maybe even more likely to have already been thought of.

Edit 2:

I also thought a big part of it could be a certain threat thats looming on the horizon, that they constantly have to work for in order to prevent... not knowing that it is actually the constant effort that's going to be worse than the actual thing they are trying to prevent.

Like torture vs actual death, but then on a community scale.

Apologies lol.
TriggerTheStomatopod
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby Western » Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:33 pm

I don't know.

I'm going to heaven anyway :twisted:
Child full of hopin'
Child full of givin'
Western
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:34 am

Postby Oblivion » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:14 pm

Wait.

We can't discuss politics but we can discuss this?
Oblivion
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Snaga » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:23 pm

Yes. It was off topic for LWMI, so I moved it here. It's not even really religious- which is allowable, in measured doses that don't involve anything that could be construed as proselytizing.

Tell someone today you love them, for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also confusing and terrifying.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Postby Oblivion » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:30 pm

^ Fair enough.

There is no hell. But if there was, in order to be aware that you were in hell, you'd have to have some kind of self-awareness. You'd have to carry with you some kind of sentience from your earthly existence.

Now how do you think that would play out? Considering human nature, especially what's been on display in the last decade or so, do you think people would calmly accept being sentenced to an eternity in Hell? Of course not! They'd be screaming for legal representation.

It's certainly a given that all lawyers go to Hell, so Hell would be nothing more than a tangle of endless litigation. I assume there is no economy in Hell, so how would all those legal fees be paid?

It would be a mess. Worse than Earth, maybe.
Oblivion
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Snaga » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:33 pm

Oblivion wrote:They'd be screaming for legal representation.

It's certainly a given that all lawyers go to Hell, so Hell would be nothing more than a tangle of endless litigation. I assume there is no economy in Hell, so how would all those legal fees be paid?

It would be a mess. Worse than Earth, maybe.

In Inferno- the Niven & Pournelle Inferno, not Dante's- and in Escape From Hell, there was a bureaucracy- with as much Red Tape as possible, and then some- because, Hell. And the jurisprudence followed more closely the Napoleonic Code rather than English Common Law- that was explicitly stated in the second book.

And of course it's just as hellish for the bureaucrats. In the original book, the scribe Himuralibima is offered 'retirement' from the administrative section of Hell- the city of Dis, which has walls of glowing red-hot metal. As he's the one who is credited with inventing archiving (and thus, paperwork), he was the first employee of the administrative branch of Hell, and has earned retirement. But in Inferno each bureaucrat is given only the technology from their time on Earth- in his time, clay tablets. So he has to continually attempt to make up his retirement papers in a literal oven before the clay dries....

In Escape From Hell there's a scene where social service bureaucrats who withheld assistance unnecessarily to the poor, are buried under the things they denied the needy, while people who lived their lives as perpetual 'victims' hector and harass them, as they fight each other over the things they feel they have a 'right' to.

In fact there's a lot of people mindlessly acting out extreme parodies of the things they were guilty of on Earth- Hoarders and Wasters battle each other, each side armed with a diamond the size of a large boulder, while a man who in his day collected first edition fantasy/sci-fi books and comic books, all his family fortune on them merely to run out of money to care for them and letting them rot in a leaky, rat-infested warehouse- a Hoarder and a Waster- was condemned to be continually in between, constantly crushed by the giant diamonds as the warring factions attacked each other.

The entire premise of the books is that people are condemned to remain in Hell until they understand their sins, instead of endlessly acting them out, over and over with either no self-awareness, or no desire to change.

In the end, the protagonist leaves Hell because they in effect kick him out as a troublemaker- he managed to cause quite a bit of extra work for the government of Hell.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Snaga
Site Admin

Postby TriggerTheStomatopod » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:15 pm

Fact that they are so common concepts in Western yeah...
Maybe that's why they're so easy to think of.
I think personally, if something can add to your misery, it will probably be in hell.

I mean it's simple. It should be the worst thing imaginable.
But exactly how bad would that be lol.
It would be the worst from every point of view or angle lol. The worst in every every every possible way. It's just going to be insane.

For example you won't get an adrenaline rush from it, can rule that one out. But it could still be scary as hell anyway hehe, here we go!

Edit: Lol as far as the lawyer example goes, I would imagine them having to defend people that get sued for the most stupid small innocent arbitrary nonsense things. And they have to do their best. But obviously being Hell, everyone is going to end up guilty of all possible charges and even more charges that could be thought of by the judge that can add to them all.
And you only really need one sentence for life and you'll never ever get out hahaha. Yeah that's right. You don't die there, at all lol. You're stuck. You already were. But now you're stuck more. That's the point of it all.
It already starts out as the worst thing possible, but it does get worse. Lol, don't have to explain you that.

Ahh this is fun stuff. Until you're there. You're in there for eternity. But you can celebrate you're not there yet!
No one can take that away from you (yet, I meant. But it's not true). So it's eternity, minus the 80 years you lived prior to. So yeah that's a gift.
That's why I actually think you need to be wiped though, and not even be concious of your own decisions leading up to them. You should have "your nature" investigated in life, and once found guilty thrown in hell with a reset:P
TriggerTheStomatopod
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Next

Return to Just For Fun

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post