Our partner

Difficulties Caused By Social Media

Internet addiction message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: NewSunRising

Difficulties Caused By Social Media

Postby CammieMe » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:30 am

Nowadays, social media is a great deal. I myself am guilty of having the need to regularly check and update social media. There's this subconscious thought that people need to know what I'm up to. Because of this, I'm having difficulty focusing on work and other daily tasks. I feel like I couldn't really concentrate as I'm more concerned about what would people think. How about you? What are the difficulties caused by social media in your life?
CammieMe
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Mon May 10, 2021 4:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Difficulties Caused By Social Media

Postby Snaga » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:42 pm

Not much, because I got mad at the Tech Giants and ditched most of it. It took getting angry to change my habits.

Tell someone you love them today, for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also terrifying and confusing.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Mon May 10, 2021 2:44 am

Postby Lucid » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:09 am

I have felt certain paranoia towards certain social media back when i was on it a few years back. I thought people were going to somehow get me from it or track me down and ruin me through it. Luckily it never happened and i have left. I also wasn't fond of the fact that people kept telling me they were using social media to stalk those they went to school or worked with. It felt like a very weird way of having people judge others and how they lived.

I left social media and never went back, i haven't missed it and i consider my life lived fully without using it. I recommend everyone leave it one of these days. It truly is screaming into the void and exposure. I imagine what the world would be like if they spent that time reading books or watching documentaries instead.
Diagnosed: Aspergers
Lucid
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Mon May 10, 2021 3:44 am

Postby Tetrant » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:51 pm

This crap is definitely DESIGNED to be addictive, with mechanisms like infinite scroll, showing "related" links to the side and all this crap. A shame, because you can find some gold from time to time on websites like Quora, but the distraction aspect of it, makes it pretty much unusable for serious work, without taking the risk to waste a few hours scrolling.

There is a fix for this: browser extensions that hide this crap altogether like distraction free youtube, but they aren't always available for every website unfortunately.

Honestly, I don't even bother nor gamble with social media anymore, I assume that once I am in, I will be stuck in. I only use websites respecting my time for work and not having these addictive mechanisms.
Tetrant
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon May 10, 2021 9:44 am

Postby CammieMe » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:56 pm

Snaga wrote:Not much, because I got mad at the Tech Giants and ditched most of it. It took getting angry to change my habits.

May I ask why you got mad?

Lucid wrote:I have felt certain paranoia towards certain social media back when i was on it a few years back. I thought people were going to somehow get me from it or track me down and ruin me through it. Luckily it never happened and i have left. I also wasn't fond of the fact that people kept telling me they were using social media to stalk those they went to school or worked with. It felt like a very weird way of having people judge others and how they lived.

I left social media and never went back, i haven't missed it and i consider my life lived fully without using it. I recommend everyone leave it one of these days. It truly is screaming into the void and exposure. I imagine what the world would be like if they spent that time reading books or watching documentaries instead.

That's so true. I feel like I should be doing something else like I could be more productive. It's making me guilty.

Tetrant wrote:This crap is definitely DESIGNED to be addictive, with mechanisms like infinite scroll, showing "related" links to the side and all this crap. A shame, because you can find some gold from time to time on websites like Quora, but the distraction aspect of it, makes it pretty much unusable for serious work, without taking the risk to waste a few hours scrolling.

There is a fix for this: browser extensions that hide this crap altogether like distraction free youtube, but they aren't always available for every website unfortunately.

Honestly, I don't even bother nor gamble with social media anymore, I assume that once I am in, I will be stuck in. I only use websites respecting my time for work and not having these addictive mechanisms.

The infinite scrolling is real. Sometimes, I catch myself realizing I'm not looking for anything at all. It's like my thumb has a life of its own that it keeps on scrolling.

May I ask which extension that is?
CammieMe
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Snaga » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:27 am

CammieMe wrote:May I ask why you got mad?

I don't like oligarchs. And that's about how far I can take it without bumping up against forum rules. :mrgreen: Don't like them, decide they won't make money off my personal life.

Tell someone you love them today, for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also terrifying and confusing.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Postby CammieMe » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:44 am

Snaga wrote:
CammieMe wrote:May I ask why you got mad?

I don't like oligarchs. And that's about how far I can take it without bumping up against forum rules. :mrgreen: Don't like them, decide they won't make money off my personal life.

I see. Can't blame you there.

I was wondering if this social media addiction perhaps needs professional intervention, like a therapist? Have any of you had experience with therapists?
CammieMe
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Snaga » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:03 am

I haven't- although to be honest I could get seen for just general internet addiction- including this forum, ha. Far be it from an admin to tell people to get off the damn computer, however :mrgreen:

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Snaga
Site Admin

Return to Internet Addiction Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post