Our partner

Completely Addicted To News And Politics

Internet addiction message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: NewSunRising

Completely Addicted To News And Politics

Postby Wycliffe » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:36 pm

Hello.
I hope this is the right forum for this. I have an addiction to news and politics which is out of control. It may seem a trivial problem compared to some others but it's a big problem for me.
Every morning when I get up I go on my computer and check various news sites/newsletters concerning news/current affairs and politics. I read a couple of newspapers online which I have subscribed too.
On and off throughout the day I flit from one news site to the next. In between I read political eBooks. I have downloaded literally hundreds most of which I've yet to read. Every day I keep buying more.

In the evening I watch a couple of hours of cable news before going back online to read more about politics and news. It's driving me crazy. I don't have time to do anything else. But I can't seem to stop. What can I do?
Wycliffe
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:08 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Completely Addicted To News And Politics

Postby Snaga » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:16 am

Oh me. Sometimes you just have to make yourself stop for a little while. Maybe skip one of the regular times in your day when you would normally check news and politics.

It's super hard to do, I know, especially in 2020. But try and do something else for a few hours, at a time you'd normally be doing your usual thing. I think you'd find it freeing, once you can manage it a bit.

Moderation in everything.

Tell someone you love them today, for Life is short.
But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also terrifying and confusing.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:08 pm

Postby NewSunRising » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:09 am

I agree . It could be helpful if you start with a scheduled substitute activity . It won't take long before that becomes a routine .

I also used the technique of " But first ..." when I was fighting the urge to gamble . I basically lied to myself and said " OK , you can go gamble but first you have to clean out that closet / take a 20 minute walk / read one chapter of a book / go buy groceries , etc. ".

By the time I was done with my " But first..." distraction , the urge had greatly weakened .

You could also ask yourself " Is this just FOMO ( Fear of Missing Out ) ? " . I've experienced that playing Pokemon Go . I've started to wean myself off the game lately as I'm spending waaaay too much time glued to the phone because of FOMO .

I have to remind myself I have other things that need doing and I'm not missing anything in the game that's vital to my well being .
NewSunRising
Site Admin

Local time: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:08 pm

Postby Snaga » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:56 pm

I have been finding myself on social media a little too much, reposting the latest outrage. I am also trying to cut back- I want to keep abreast of the crazy out there, but I need to not let it make me crazy, myself. You have to start trying to step back, or it will consume you.

Tell someone you love them today, for Life is short.
But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also terrifying and confusing.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:08 pm

Return to Internet Addiction Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post