Our partner

What should I do?

Internet addiction message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: NewSunRising

What should I do?

Postby Grzenio12 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:29 pm

Hi, I'm 18 years old, I'm from Poland. I have been addicted to the Internet for a few years now (or at least that's what I think).
I currently talk to a psychologist, but it happens rarely (once a month or even less), I don't really know why because that's how often she tells me to come. I have only visited her 4 times, and the main reason I wanted to see her was another issue that I have, and not my Internet addiction. When I mentioned my addiction to her, she basically did nothing to help me, at first she just told me to use my computer less and then she basically ignored it when I told her about it again.
I don't know what to do anymore. I read somewhere that there are only 3 good places to fight internet addiction in my whole country. I have recently tried to stay offline for a week but on the 5th day I was sick and I thought to myself that I "deserve" to do something on my phone and I basically stopped the whole "week of sobriety" thing and now I spend 8-12 hours online a day, watching videos on Youtube, reading Reddit, playing games etc.
My parents do nothing about my situation, I haven't told them that I am addicted but they see that I'm on my phone all the time and they have said on a few occasions that I am addicted, it was'nt a joke but they didn't seem to take it seriosuly.
I said that "that's what I think"in the beginning because I don't get angry for example if for some reason I have to stop using my phone, and when I'm out with my friends or something I don't really think about using my phone but just enjoy the moment. On the other hand though, when I have a lot of free time (which happens often) I can start doing something online and then get immersed for many hours and at those moments I'd rather do something on my phone than get up of my bed and for example cook or learn (which are both things I like doing)
I would be really thankful for some advice, and sorry for my terrible English :)
Grzenio12
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:21 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: What should I do?

Postby Wally58 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:23 pm

Your English is fine.
Can you leave your phone at home for a day? Can you plan what websites you will visit and then get off the internet?
I don't have a cell phone anymore. I have a home phone with an answering machine. It was too much distraction for me. I began to think that I felt the phone vibrate in my pocket when I was asleep in bed. It made me very anxious and I got rid of it.
I plan the websites I will visit and then get off the computer. I only have the home computer and I use it once before work and once after work.
I like to cook something different each weekend. I make my own crackers (biscuits). Very easy with ground oat flour, seasonings, olive oil and water. I make chili (not too hot and spicy) and I made tamales which were more difficult: both corn dough and filling wrapped in corn husk, but they were good. Give yourself time away from the keypad. Go to the library and page through a book or magazine. Bicycle ride.
I know that the internet can waste hours in a day. First, try to train yourself to use it only at certain times.
Best of luck to you. :D
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
Wally58
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:21 am

Postby MomLeslieM » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:09 pm

The good thing is that you recognize you have an addiction! So many people do not so that is a great first step. Since you don't see the psychologist very often you might want to find a therapist for counseling who can see you more often. The therapist could help you to work through your internet addiction. You're not alone, more and more studies are showing that young adults have an internet addiction now. BUT you do need to try to stop it. Sounds like you did great for a 4 days - maybe try it again but go for 5...then just one more day at a time. The way to beat any addiction is one day, one hour, one minute at a time. Wally's suggestions about only going to certain specific websites are great - like email or if you have to do something for school/work. If you have any social media accounts I would disable them for now -- even go as far as letting a friend change the password for you so you CAN'T get on unless they let you :shock: I would tell your parents too so that they can help and support you -- they may not realize you being on your phone is an addiction because you're not getting physically drunk or high on drugs but you still "need" the phone/internet just as much. Wally's suggestion about finding some other activities to take the place of internet is good too - reading a physical book, coloring, cooking, running, walking, anything that doesn't have to do with being online!
MomLeslieM
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:21 am

Postby NewSunRising » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:20 am

I'd like to add one more - Volunteering !

There's so many organizations that would love to have volunteers - especially places that help the elderly or animal shelters . You decide how much time you want to give . It can be very rewarding .
Some of the things you can do :

Deliver meals , go food shopping or do much needed yard work for people who can't get out of their house due to illness or old age .

Walk dogs for the local animal shelter .

Read books to kids at a library story hour .

Help immigrants to your country learn your language and customs .

Work with homeless shelters to collect and give out food or clothing donations .

Visit a senior home - if you have a musical talent , give them a little performance . If you have a (well behaved and good tempered) pet , ask the staff if it can visit with you . Sit and talk with them about the history of your town . You might find a lot of fascinating information . People like to talk about their lives .

I think it's easier to stick to the decision to stay offline if you have commitments for your free time . Fill up a good part of your free time with other things and schedule the hours that you can be on the internet / gaming .
NewSunRising
Site Admin

Local time: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:21 pm

Postby Marlocked » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:52 am

Try to have a schedule on when to use and not use the internet. This can limit you with your internet usage. If you think you don't have the control to do so, try some applications online which can block some sites at certain times. Goodluck!
Marlocked
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:21 pm

Return to Internet Addiction Forum