Our partner

I left the internet...so now what?

Internet addiction message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: NewSunRising

I left the internet...so now what?

Postby eileen792 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:48 pm

I just want to say I left the internet definitely in June and it feels so good.. but so boring at the same time. Internet is a ######6 drug just like cocaine. But the thing is, I can't find any other activity in which I find myself comfortable or happy, and this drives me crazy. I feel sad when I'm not on the internet and nothing fulfills me. The internet destroyed my mind. Any idea of how to get out of this situation?

Ps: sorry for my english I'm not a native english speaker.
eileen792
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:51 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: I left the internet...so now what?

Postby Oliveira » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:44 am

Hi,

in many countries they are introducing rehab centres for internet addicts. Internet can be a drug, and a nasty one, because it can alter our brains long time or possibly permanently (it hasn't been around long enough).

I have realised a few years ago that I have lost the ability to focus on something for a long time. I used to be able to read the entirety of Lord of the Rings with breaks for toilet visits, sleep and food. Now around page 10 I start thinking "oh, I wonder what wikipedia says about that... hey wasn't this character in this other story, lemme google that... I'm pretty sure this was not in the movie, let me google that... since we're on the subject of the movie gotta check the IMDB page..." I drift away from my book and within five minutes I don't remember what I was reading.

Internet stimulates you in many ways at once. When you have 20 tabs open and you switch between them, that's as if you were reading 20 books at once and switching every two minutes. You are unlikely to manage any of them really. But you get a certain sort of stimulation which is like zapping channels on TV, except better, because you most probably have something interesting on every tab and no ads that cover the entire page for five minutes and you can't close them.

So, yeah, I would investigate facilities that offer Internet rehab or counselling.

Good luck!
Currently working on my upcoming signature.
Oliveira
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:51 am

Postby 1UglyMF » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:48 pm

Just an idea:

Try deep breathing.
Any physical discipline that encourages that.

I am currently badly out of control with my internet addiction. I'm out of work because of an injury hence the addiction.
But I'm also a singer, the skill of which I'm currently recovering. So I'm doing daily breath work and I'm finding (as earlier in my life) that the deep breathing is able to break up the mental clutter that's caused by information overload. Enabling me to concentrate for longer spells again.

At OP: I can imagine pursuing a new physical activity would do anyone good, both for physical and mental well-being.

Other than that, try reading (and finishing !) some worthwhile books. Classics.

As a musician I can also recommend picking up an intrument. Highly rewarding.
Or some kind of handicraft.
How about joining a theater group...

So many things one can do.
1UglyMF
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:51 am

Postby eterea107 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:37 pm

Oliveira wrote:Hi,

in many countries they are introducing rehab centres for internet addicts. Internet can be a drug, and a nasty one, because it can alter our brains long time or possibly permanently (it hasn't been around long enough).

I have realised a few years ago that I have lost the ability to focus on something for a long time. I used to be able to read the entirety of Lord of the Rings with breaks for toilet visits, sleep and food. Now around page 10 I start thinking "oh, I wonder what wikipedia says about that... hey wasn't this character in this other story, lemme google that... I'm pretty sure this was not in the movie, let me google that... since we're on the subject of the movie gotta check the IMDB page..." I drift away from my book and within five minutes I don't remember what I was reading.

Internet stimulates you in many ways at once. When you have 20 tabs open and you switch between them, that's as if you were reading 20 books at once and switching every two minutes. You are unlikely to manage any of them really. But you get a certain sort of stimulation which is like zapping channels on TV, except better, because you most probably have something interesting on every tab and no ads that cover the entire page for five minutes and you can't close them.

So, yeah, I would investigate facilities that offer Internet rehab or counselling.

Good luck!

Oliviera, you just described me exactly! From massive tomes, to Internet straight through "Hmmm...Google this," "hmmm ... Wiki that"...TONS of tabs always. This can't be a coincidence, it is a bipolar "trait"? (Sorry to sidebar, I did a double take. I do the same thing and my boyfriend who has bipolar does, too. And, never, close the tabs, lol). I love reading, I used to review books for publishers. My concentration is ... Internet-friendly instead of LOTR. =\). I am sad that one of my passions has been taken away. At least for now. xo, eterea
103 =)
eterea107
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:51 am

Postby NewSunRising » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:16 pm

Sigh ... I used to be a voracious reader , an absolute lover of books ( especially LOTR ) . I am taking a page from Lonelydaydream's book and cutting down my recreational 'net surfing to morning and evening 30 minute sessions ( although modding on the forum doesn't count - there's a lot to do here ! ) .

I am setting some limits here too , particularly late at night . I'm starting to have problems sleeping and I know it's due to being online too close to bedtime .

That said , I'm off to bed !
NewSunRising
Site Admin

Local time: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:51 am

Return to Internet Addiction Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post