Our partner

need advice

Intermittent Explosive Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: NewSunRising

need advice

Postby peacenik » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:08 pm

Hi guys...I have a dear, close friend who has been like a sister to me for 30 years. She has IED and previously has never exploded at me...until 3 weeks ago. She is currently untreated except for prozac, which I don't think is doing much for her. I have been texting her once a week to check in with little response from her. She just moved to my area to be near me and my family and the beach. I don't know what to do. Or if I should do anything.

She was enraged at a text I sent her, giving her info about possible church activities her daughter might be interested in (to make friends, since she is a new kid to the area...they are churchgoers so I wasn't you know proselytizing). I told her I was sorry I upset her at the time and proceeded to cry off and on for a few days, because she said some really hurtful things. Then I got over it because I know she has an illness.

I miss her but moreso I am terribly worried about her. I don't know whether to assume she is still pissed or if she just needs space or if I just need to say, look you are probably still mad at me but I want you to know I am here when (or if) you want to resume communication.

Any insights to my situation or advice would be very much appreciated.
peacenik
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:18 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: need advice

Postby NewSunRising » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:58 pm

Welcome Peacenik ,

I'm sorry your friend hurt you the way she did . Even when we understand the reason , it doesn't make it any less painful . Has your friend been in touch since this happened ?
NewSunRising
Site Admin

Local time: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:18 pm

Postby peacenik » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:30 pm

No she hasn't. I initiated contact by text twice and asked her how she was doing and both times she just said "Everything's fine. Thanks for checking in." I don't know if I should just talk to her and say, "hey are we still friends" or what. I don't think I did anything to apologize for, other than being clueless that I would set her off.
peacenik
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby eterea107 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:05 am

peacenik wrote:No she hasn't. I initiated contact by text twice and asked her how she was doing and both times she just said "Everything's fine. Thanks for checking in." I don't know if I should just talk to her and say, "hey are we still friends" or what. I don't think I did anything to apologize for, other than being clueless that I would set her off.

It sounds like she needs some space. Perhaps hold off on contacting her for awhile. She knows she can contact you. You sound like a supportive friend!
eterea107
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:18 am

Postby peacenik » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:02 pm

Thanks for that. I appreciate it! I will hold off on communicating for now.
peacenik
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Intermittent Explosive Disorder Forum