Our partner

Just diagnosed so what do i do with this?

Intermittent Explosive Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: NewSunRising

Just diagnosed so what do i do with this?

Postby willybilly30 » Thu May 03, 2018 12:30 pm

I was diagnosed with depression with psychosis and now, intermittent explosive disorder?
They decided to talk about it in class cause we discuss a mental disorder ever day.
I was like wow, a lot of things make me angry, i cuss and break things but, the article they read suggests if your married to some one with ied you should leave.....man, should i stay single if i ever got a woman who wanted to marry me?
I think my dad had this cause he got angry all the time and was very hurtful. I really don't want to be like him.
Man, there is so much that is annoying like for some reason this computer is slowly making my words on here
So, what do you do for yourself? any relaxation or anger management techniques you want to share? I dunno let's talk. I am knew to this forum so, hey everyone
willybilly30
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:58 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Just diagnosed so what do i do with this?

Postby NewSunRising » Mon May 07, 2018 12:51 pm

Hey Willybilly ,

There's a few techniques that people use to manage impulsive behavior but they're not instant-fixes . It takes work and practice and time . Can you ask your doctor / therapist for some ideas ?
NewSunRising
Site Admin

Local time: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:58 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby willybilly30 » Sun May 13, 2018 1:19 am

We have relaxation stuff in class but, i could ask the therapist about more things
willybilly30
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:58 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby NewSunRising » Sun May 13, 2018 3:30 pm

You know , it's really great that you're willing to be pro-active about this . Impulsive behavior is hard to overcome but it can be done . Even learning what your triggers are and being able anticipate your responses to them can help give you a bit more control than just letting the impulse carry you away .

As far as getting married , most folks find that honesty is key in relationships . If you hide this aspect of yourself , then of course your partner is not going to understand what's happening to you when you suddenly get angry . I personally would never say " Dump them " to a partner who loves someone with IED . I would advocate working together to understand what's going on with the person and how to help them with it . It's an effort on the part of both parties .

And yes , there are people out there who will do that .
NewSunRising
Site Admin

Local time: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:58 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Intermittent Explosive Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post