Our partner

Husband has IED. Need to leave marriage

Intermittent Explosive Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: NewSunRising

Husband has IED. Need to leave marriage

Postby Safewayout » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:09 pm

For the better part of 24 years i have been living with a very angry man. It has gotten to the point that i emotinally and physically worn out. He has an offical disgnoise of IED and take medication but refuses to combine that with therapy. The daily verbal attacks are becoming more frequent and as a hallmark of IED totally out of proprtion to the situation. My kids are 17, 15 and 12 with oldest applying to colleges this fall so it the most horrible time to divorce but i have to get him out. We walk on eggshells in fear and are only relaxed when he is away on business. I do talk to a therapist for support and that does help. Can anyone relate? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Safewayout
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri May 14, 2021 6:01 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Husband has IED. Need to leave marriage

Postby Looking_to_help » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:41 am

I would continue with your therapy and establish a support system amongst your family-friends. Leaving the marriage can also set off somebody with IED and might put you or your kid's safety at risk, especially if he has violent tendencies. Even if he is not violent, it has potential to escalate once he hears the news. Proceed with caution, but It does Sound like you have exhausted your resources and perhaps leaving the marriage might be a sound choice, however its important to Develop a safety plan with your therapist and support system before doing so.

-D
Looking_to_help
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri May 14, 2021 6:01 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)

Re: Husband has IED. Need to leave marriage

Postby AnxietyLife » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:31 am

I'm also living with a man diagnosed with IED. It feels as though since the diagnosis, it's made it worse, not better. I love my husband but I feel as though I need to do better for my children. I don't know if I have any emotional strength left.
AnxietyLife
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri May 14, 2021 4:01 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Intermittent Explosive Disorder Forum