Our partner

Ied

Intermittent Explosive Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: NewSunRising

Ied

Postby Haywire » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:56 pm

I've just been diagnosed with ied but can't relate to most of what I'm reading here, my wife has known me for 23 years and I've never raised a hand to her, never shouted at her in anger, I've never been cruel to animals.

For me it's always been defensive, if I've been threatend or felt threatend it sets me off, i have got it wrong badly a few times with disastrous consequences but for the most part it has always been provoked.
Am I alone or is anyone else like this?
Haywire
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri May 14, 2021 10:39 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Ied

Postby Looking_to_help » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:27 am

Sometimes, IED can occur for no particular reason, but more often than not, there is a trigger. Usually the trigger is reacted upon in a disproportionate way. Such as "perceiving a stranger to be giving you a dirty look and you start cursing them out or getting physical with them." Feeling as if your being threatened or attacked or perceiving that you might be can definitely cause an IED outburst. Its flight or fight flooding your brain and the impulse is to react without thinking. Low self esteem or insecurity might also play into your perception of being on the defense and feeling threatened.

Hope you can work out the root cause of your IED and develop some healthy coping skills with a therapist or other psych professional if needed! Well wishes!
-D
Looking_to_help
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri May 14, 2021 5:39 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)

Return to Intermittent Explosive Disorder Forum