Our partner

Can hormones be a cause of insomnia?

Insomnia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Can hormones be a cause of insomnia?

Postby Rach271 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:00 am

Hi,

I’ve been struggling with insomnia for over 10 years. I’ve recently decided to try to tackle my sleep problem due to having a 10month old and not wanting to be medicated anymore.
I’ve tried it all (sleep hygiene, meditation, herbs, relaxation, CBT, healthy eating, exercise, and prescribed drugs)
I’m currently trying light therapy (blue light blocking sunglasses at night and bright light sunglasses in the morning) and sleep restriction although it is hard it’s really the last thing I know to try. I’m also taking vitamins as I don’t get enough sun and it being winter where I am in Australia I don’t get vitamin D so I’m supplementing per doctors orders and taking iron as I have been anemic in the past.

I have a question, when I was pregnant I slept the best I had ever slept without any medications whatsoever. Could hormones be a factor to consider? I’m researching more and more into this and am now requesting a blood test to see where my hormone levels are.
Thank you for reading!
Rach271
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:16 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Can hormones be a cause of insomnia?

Postby quietgirl2538 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:49 pm

I'm really sorry to hear you've had sleep problems. And for 10 years! I had a big problem with sleep problems at one point. I have bipolar I and the only thing that helped at that time was Seroquel or the generic name that is, Quetiapine. In small doses, it helped with helping me sleep. The doctor, at one point, had to increase it a couple of times because even then, I couldn't stay asleep. But it helped a lot! And I was finally able to sleep every night. It is not addictive either. I took 25mg, 50mg, and even 100mg of it. It is considered something like a tranquilizer, that's what I've read. But it is used for disorders such as bipolar. And other things too.

I have 3 girls and I remember what it's like when they are 10 months old. And you need your sleep. Sending hugs, if wantedd

Here is a helpful link to it:

Link to Seroquel (Quetiapine)
“There’s an Asian expression that ‘a burden shared is halved.’"

Bipolar I
ADD (not the hyperactive kind)
*I take loads of meds, but they keep me stable :D

Forum Rules

PsychForum rules and Active Staff
quietgirl2538
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:16 pm