Our partner

scared of the dark?

Insomnia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

scared of the dark?

Postby hades888 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:52 pm

Hi, i'm not sure where to post this and apologize if this is in the wrong place.

I have panic attacks a night in the dark, every single noise i hear I get a fright and i just won't sleep, If i do decide to go to bed, i leave a light on. but even then i feel like someone's slowly creeping through the door or hovering over me as i sleep.

If I stay up, all the lights need to be on and i wont sleep until i see sunlight, then i can rest easy....

most nights i just stay up.

i'm just no sure why i do this?
hades888
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri May 14, 2021 12:15 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: scared of the dark?

Postby Oliveira » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:24 pm

Hi,

I moved your post to Insomnia section (I am not 100% sure that's the right spot either ;) but hopefully you get some responses).

Have you spoken to a professional about this? Like a therapist? It might be some sort of old trauma acting up perhaps?
Currently working on my upcoming signature.
Oliveira
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri May 14, 2021 1:15 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Patrick989 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:39 pm

Hello Hades888 - this sounds like a pretty classic phobia, specifically a irrational fear of the dark (Nyctophobia).

However, I do want to point out that throughout most of mankind's existence - a fear of the dark was hardly irrational. We are hard coded to have at least a apprehension over the pitch black, after all, history is likely littered with the bodies of those of us who did not see the danger of walking away from the group into the night where predators stalked, so rest assured most people have a "fear of the dark" (scary movies don't have ghosts pop out in the middle of a sunny perfect day usually, since again, we as humans are hardwired to see darkness as potentially dangerous).

Of course, since the modern-era, you don't have nearly as much need for this fear - and as with any fear, yours seems to have gotten a better of you and you'll want to have it overcome as with any severe phobia.

I would suggest you make an appointment with a therapist who specializes in phobias. There is literally no good reason to force yourself to continue to live with this fear and it would be best to have a professional assist you in overcoming it.

Darkness is simply the absence of light. When you turn off the lights in your room/house/basement/etc. is literally 100% the same as when the lights were on; with the exception of no more light bouncing off of everything and your eyes absorbing it to create an image of everything.

The fear is totally and unequivocally in your assumption that when the lights go off, some sort of danger is more likely - which is not the case.
Patrick989
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu May 13, 2021 7:15 pm

Postby hades888 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:38 pm

Oliveira wrote:Hi,

I moved your post to Insomnia section (I am not 100% sure that's the right spot either ;) but hopefully you get some responses).

Have you spoken to a professional about this? Like a therapist? It might be some sort of old trauma acting up perhaps?

hi thanks in response to this
i have always been scared of the dark since i was a kid and i don't like when people are up when im in bed. im not sure why i just always get scared. im scared at night even when the lights are on also i may add. I wont sleep till the sun is up

i am planning to see a therapist soon, thanks so much for the replys :)
hades888
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri May 14, 2021 12:15 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby PsyHealer » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:24 pm

hades888,

I have seen a film of a guy who had an unknown trauma which affected him, but he could not remember it, because it happened when he was a baby. It was about an uncle who had many times entered the baby room to shut him down while he cried, in some harmful way.

There were some little bells on the door which rang every time someone entered the room, so every time the baby heard that sound, he panicked. He happened to hear this same specific sound from the door of a store, and it was the key for him to start investigating what was going on with his mind and remember his trauma. I don't actually remember the name of the film or the method used, maybe regressing hypnosis. Only then he could start healing from such trauma.

For people prone to PTSD, I think smaller threats would already get hard-coded as a trauma. Very frequently, siblings who have no self-continence yet of their actions, do something bad like pinching the baby due to rivalry. Or it can be something much worse.

That's my guess.....

A second hypothesis is that influence of sunlight in you. Many processes occur only in the absence of sunlight, such as the conversion of serotonin into melatonin. In such case, the exposure of bright blue light into your eyes doing a certain period could make you feel better. I used those types of light to wake up better in the morning, from a special led light strap placed on top of my computer, bought for this purpose. But it was too annoying and my eyes didn't like it. I can't say for sure if that device was harmful for my eyes. Looking at a blue screen in your cell phone or computer would be certainly more comfortable, but probably not bright enough to do the job. Anyway, doing this every night is more likely to wrack up sleeping hour-cycle than to fix it, but trying it just once is a way of checking if the biochemical hypothesis holds true.

You can type "blue light therapy insomnia" in google images.
male, non, INTP; "No pain, no gain."; Please reply and excuse me when I'm insensible.
PsyHealer
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu May 13, 2021 11:15 pm

Return to Insomnia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post