Our partner

Definition, Symptoms, Causes & Treatment

Insomnia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Re: Definition, Symptoms, Causes & Treatment

Postby danialmartin7778 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:39 am

Thanks to share this useful information, It is very interesting and also very important. It shows that proper sleep is very important for our mind and also for whole body.
danialmartin7778
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:00 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Copy_Cat » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:27 pm

The real cause I belive,

We often worry about lying awake in the middle of the night - but it could be good for you. A growing body of evidence from both science and history suggests that the eight-hour sleep may be unnatural.

In the early 1990s, psychiatrist Thomas Wehr conducted an experiment in which a group of people were plunged into darkness for 14 hours every day for a month.

It took some time for their sleep to regulate but by the fourth week the subjects had settled into a very distinct sleeping pattern. They slept first for four hours, then woke for one or two hours before falling into a second four-hour sleep.

Though sleep scientists were impressed by the study, among the general public the idea that we must sleep for eight consecutive hours persists.

In 2001, historian Roger Ekirch of Virginia Tech published a seminal paper, drawn from 16 years of research, revealing a wealth of historical evidence that humans used to sleep in two distinct chunks.

His book At Day's Close: Night in Times Past, published four years later, unearths more than 500 references to a segmented sleeping pattern - in diaries, court records, medical books and literature, from Homer's Odyssey to an anthropological account of modern tribes in Nigeria.

Much like the experience of Wehr's subjects, these references describe a first sleep which began about two hours after dusk, followed by waking period of one or two hours and then a second sleep.

Read: The myth of the eight-hour sleep BBC World Service

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16964783
I survived psychiatry.
Copy_Cat
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby spazunite » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:40 pm

I found all of this information very interesting. Also from my insomnia I have had waking nightmares (yes I'm aware of the other forum) due to my insomnia. It seems to be reoccurring. It's always a little Asian girl with long white hair standing either at the side or end of my bed. Terrifying.

I recently wrote an article that may help some people, check it out and give me some feedback, I'd love to hear from some others and whether or not these tricks have helped them.

*link removed*
Last edited by lilyfairy on Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link removed to protect anonymity as per forum rules
spazunite
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:00 am

Postby damon1 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:28 am

Full and fine info...in was looking for such data...
damon1
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby pamelajackson » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:51 am

Just joined the forum! Not sure if this is the right place to say "hi" but I'm happy to be here :D
pamelajackson
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:00 am

Postby freepanda20 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:54 pm

Hey Butterfly, thank you for your post, I would like to add a treatment that has been working for me. I have used it together with the reconditioning method to help my insomnia. I use bedroom plants that clean the air which is of course full of toxins which affect sleep. Here's a video that has a better explanation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRicX6TwjE0
freepanda20
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:00 pm

Previous

Return to Insomnia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post