Our partner

Sleep pills, supplements, and other sleeping aid experiences

Insomnia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Re: Sleep pills, supplements, and other sleeping aid experiences

Postby melliemel007 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:23 am

In my experience, I've had the best results with the following supplements. Melatonin, Alteril and i-Chill. Ambien has worked well too but I prefer to stick with the more natural sleep aids. I also like having background noise. I feel that having just a little background noise keeps my mind from racing and keeping me awake.

Part of not being able to sleep is the anxiety that comes with it. Knowing I need a good night's sleep in order to make it through the next day without being tired makes it even harder to fall asleep. I've also found that soothing music helps. There's a compilation called "Sleep in Harmony with the Universe" by HarmonyHarp that I personally find helpful.

If not to sleep, it at least is good for relaxation and meditation and can help to relieve stress and anxiety. The problem with most sleep aids and supplements unfortunately is that they can either become habit-forming as well as expensive if you end up needing to take them every night.
melliemel007
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby pfuser93853 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:37 pm

We all know that it is easy to take a sleeping pill at bedtime the problem is that taking a sleeping pill or a tranquilizer quickly became adductive then they should not be taken continuously way paradoxically they make you addicted to their regular intake, more artificial and your sleep will be of poor quality and bcp less refreshing than a natural sleep
pfuser93853
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby farwayy » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:34 pm

My sister has been sending me DREAMQUICK from Europe for a while and that has worked very well for me. It took a few days for it to fully kick in but my sleep has improved substantially since then. I ran out a few weeks ago and immediately noticed a big difference in the quality of my sleep. I found they're also on Amazon.com now but not sure it's the same product. :shock:
farwayy
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:44 am

Postby mollyp » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:15 pm

Melatonin used to work well for me, but for the past week it has completely stopped working and I can't sleep AT ALL. It is driving me nutso. I've heard mixed things about 5htp. But I'm thinking about giving it a try. Does it work for anyone else?
mollyp
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Oliveira » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:08 pm

I never used 5-HTP as with my other meds it can cause serotonin syndrome, and I survived that twice and I'm not trying again.
Currently working on my upcoming signature.
Oliveira
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:44 am

Postby quietgirl2538 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:41 pm

I have tried Ambien (Zolpidem), Lunesta (eszopiclone), melatonin, Rozerem (Ramelteon), Seroquel, and now am trying Doxepin.

The only real success I've had is with Seroquel. It works very fast to help me fall asleep and it keeps me asleep throughout the night. The side effects are not something I like at all. I sleep far too much and I can be sluggish throughout the day on some days. I can take this drug because I have bipolar disorder and it helps me with that too, but I want to state that this drug is not specifically made as a sleeping pill or sleep aid. I am prescribed this drug by the psychiatrist I see and it is monitored by them as well.

Right now I am beginning to take Doxepin and will see how it works out. So far it does help me fall asleep but so far the last few times I"ve taken it, I feel tired when waking up. I have yet to try it for a longer period of time. In the past when the other medicines or sleep aids wouldn't work, I called the doctor after a few days time as I was needing to sleep.

Rozerem (Remelteon) is more of a natural type of sleep aid. It is similar to melatonin but it is 10x stronger, just like the website says. It is sold by prescription only and for me it worked for a few days and then it stopped working. I panic when I can't sleep so I went back to using the Seroquel. Now I am taking Doxepin and will see how it works for me. I did read that it is an antidepressant.

To be honest, I may just settle for Seroquel and somehow manage my life around it to suit me. It's much better than not sleeping.
“There’s an Asian expression that ‘a burden shared is halved.’"

Bipolar I
ADD (inattentive kind)
*I take loads of meds, but they keep me stable
quietgirl2538
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (122)

Postby paprika » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:00 am

This is my main problem - I haven't slept since I don't remember when because I lost track of days. It's 7a.m. and I'm watching the sun rise again.

Before my psychotic episodes I experience terrible insomnia. I've tried everything and the only two that worked are Estazolam/Desmethylalprazolam and Tercian/Cyamemazine but I feel terrible the next day with both. In fact I'd rather not sleep than acting like I had a lobotomy and not remembering what I did or what I said. I'm even afraid I'll text message or post something on facebook before I pass out.
Diagnosis: Schizoaffective type Bipolar

Medication: Fluoxetine 20mg, Alprazolam 0,5mg, Topiramate 50mg, Olanzapine 10mg, Ciamemazine 30mg, Aripiprazole 600mg IM/month
paprika
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:44 pm

Postby insomniac89 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:11 am

What works best for me is melatonin (circadin) combined with 5-htp supplements for serotonin production and truxal (sedative) I also take adrenaline blocking herbs from time to time motherwort and lemon balm
I have been on a cocktail of sleep meds since aged six and have absolutely tried everything
insomniac89
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:44 am

Postby Voorhees » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:30 pm

Ambien actually helped me, but I know it doesn't work for everyone though. I find exercise helps in addition to that.
Voorhees
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby Jamie514 » Mon May 29, 2017 10:57 am

Nice post and thank you for sharing this post in this forum. Here all topics are best for everyone, Who have sleeping problem they should to take these.
Jamie514
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

PreviousNext

Return to Insomnia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post