Our partner

Sleep pills, supplements, and other sleeping aid experiences

Insomnia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Re: Sleep pills, supplements, and other sleeping aid experiences

Postby Ideation » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:03 am

I started to complain enough about my insomnia symptoms and pleas for help that my shrink prescribed zolpidem (Ambien) but gave me 10 pills only, with no refills, and when I had a few left I enquired about more, and was told there would be no more as I shouldn't be using it every night and that those pills were supposed to last a month. That kind of information would have been helpful when I got the prescription. I don't see how you can skip a night without taking it, I can't at least. When they said they no more I went cold turkey and had rebound insomnia and didn't sleep at all the first night, the second night if I tried to go to sleep I would try to rock myself to sleep by tapping my foot in bed, very restless, toss and turn. Day three of cold turkey was miserable, my neck was tight, stiff, hurt to turn it to one side all the way, Day four I was off it, but had only taken it for about a week straight previously. After I told them I went off cold turkey and the insomnia issues had returned, they then prescribed 2 months worth of pills, plus 5 addl refills. I resisted taking it again, but remembered how well I slept while on it, and after awhile you get desperate for a good nights sleep, so much that I was willing to do anything for it.

So I'm back on Zolpidem 10mg a night, been on it for 14+ nights. they say to skip two nights during the week of not taking it, but if I don't take it, I don't sleep. I hope I don't become tolerant of it, it does work. I can get about 9-10 hours of sleep each night. It hits me about 10 minutes after taking it at night, but I have to willfully fall asleep or it won't work. The most enjoyable part is that my eyelids get so heavy it feels good to close them, not what I would describe as euphoria though. The bad part is I get itchy all over about 20 hours after the last dose. I haven't noticed anything that would suggest that I sleep walk or have become real forgetful, yet. So here is a toast to continued dependence on it and a good nights sleep. I have wondered if I could try an OTC sleep aid every other night on my off night of not taking zolpidem, but haven't tried yet.
Ideation
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:50 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby highdimensionman » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:54 am

*mod edit*
Last edited by Oliveira on Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please do not "prescribe" medication to other members.
Diagnosis - Paranoid Schizophrenia
Medication - Aripiprazole injection every 4 weeks
Personal diagnosis - I will any which way or how overcome every effect of aripiprazole and override the poison and disrupted or not I will fill with hard work a niche in the market by myself at first and develop a useful business.
highdimensionman
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:50 am
Blog: View Blog (250)

Re: Sleep pills, supplements, and other sleeping aid experie

Postby a cat » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:13 pm

meadowlark5 wrote:I take l-lysine, l-proline and vitamin C.

Thank you for this recommendation. I have bad insomnia and cant take prescribed sleeping pills due to the addiction element... well, I could but I'm not allowed. I only got a one time re-fill many years ago (can't remember what it was, but knocked me flat out each night...until I ran out) and haven't really bothered trying to get anymore since and figured to stick with natural stuff (by that I mean weed :P). Quit that so turning to other herbals. I found Kalms nite tabs okay (contains various extracts of Valerian root and wild lettuce), a bit hit and miss though. If you do try them get the ones with wild lettuce in it as I found those most relaxing. Valerian root and wild lettuce have also shown to have anti-anxiety effects (according to the internet. I did feel less anxious the next day even when it didn't help me sleep).

Just ordered some 500/500mg l-lysine/l-proline combo capsules. I could do with the collagen boost as insomnia and stress has left me looking... stressed, and have a sunken face and have been advised to boost collagen. Hopefully these will help with sleep too! Sorry for the ramble! I shall post back my experiences after a week or so of trying these (or maybe a month to be sure).

Thanks!
a cat
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby KlonopinWithdrawal » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:37 pm

This is a great topic; thanks for starting it.

When I dealt with extreme insomnia due to job stress, a large dose of Klonopin put me to sleep for over a year. Unfortunately, my worst fears came about: I built up tolerance first to 2 mg and then to 3 mg. I was really hoping to find a drug that was less habit-forming to replace the Klonopin. But when I tried other classes of drugs other than benzos, not a single one could put me to sleep. I had been unable to sleep without drugs AND with drugs. My only choice seemed to withdraw from the Klonopin in hopes of my natural sleep someday coming back. I have written my entire 307 page Klonopin withdrawal story. It can be found online. It is called Klonopin Withdrawal and Howling Dogs: Maybe it was God.
KlonopinWithdrawal
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:50 pm

Postby bloem90 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:04 pm

I have the worst insomnia stopped me from working an currently surviving on 2 hours each night 9AM-12AM

I AM NOT TAKING ANYTHING except occasional valerian which doesn't help

I have 5http and I want to know if anyone has taken it so far yet

please answer, I am desperate
bloem90
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby SleepySavannah » Wed May 13, 2015 3:03 am

What has been the most helpful sleep aid that everyone has used to help them fall asleep?
SleepySavannah
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:50 pm

Postby Oliveira » Wed May 13, 2015 1:10 pm

The problem is for me the two most successful sleeping aids have been both addictive and tolerance building: zopiclone and diazepam (valium). None of them should be used for a longer period, but that's exactly what I had to do, because without them I don't sleep, period. And with my bipolar disorder sleep is #1 priority.

One I liked best was 25 mg seroquel. It gave me amazing technicolor dreams, 8 hours of beautiful sleep and feeling rested in the morning. However 1) it also gave me terrible tremors, to the point where I could barely eat, and 2) I am now on 500 mg seroquel for my bipolar disorder, which is a dosage at which it no longer works as sleeping aid. So, bummer.
Currently working on my upcoming signature.
Oliveira
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby nidra » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:13 am

I agree that Zolpidem is the devil pill. In addition to sleep walking and sleep shopping, it can induce sleep eating. People have been to reported to raid the fridge or cook a meal and have no recollection of the event the next day.
nidra
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby TheLongStruggle » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:00 pm

After some years of on/off 'use'of Zopiclon ordered largely online I can no longer take it. Even a standard dose now for a night will flick me into days of rebound insomnia, no matter how effective it is for 'one night of sleep'. I can't stand the stuff. Although it used to be amazing for ensuring you don't wake up with a hangover in the morning..

Generally these days I can get away with OTC diphenhydramine hydrochloride during the week if I need help, but some nights it just doesn't cut it for me.

I have turned in times of need to Etizolam - 1mg. Legal in the UK. Probably has its own issues re: possible dependency and abuse, as it's quite the nice feeling hypnotic, but the only thing I can trust to get me off to sleep at my worst. It's either that, or facing up to the prospect of taking some Modafinil in the morning to get me through the day, which is generally ok, but I'd prefer not to use it.

Valerian root does nothing for me, neither does melatonin, I've tried them both extensively.
TheLongStruggle
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Native Arizona » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:51 pm

I currently take the following:

3 l-tryptophan
2 Benadryl (same ingredient as over the counter sleep aids)
2 Somnupure (it's a natural sleep aid though I couldn't tell you what's in it)
1 Zapelon (prescription sleep aid that knocks you out for 4 hours)

I still have a hard time falling asleep. I'm wide awake at night when I supposed to be going to bed and groggy in the morning. It sucks!

Time to try something new...
If you’ve ever done meth, then you have some idea how I feel
With teeth gnashing, jaw clenching, I’m still higher than a kite
I must be crazy to miss my old cycles of rage and depression
How I long to experience some other emotion than mania itself
Native Arizona
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:50 pm
Blog: View Blog (12)

PreviousNext

Return to Insomnia Forum