Our partner

Sleep pills, supplements, and other sleeping aid experiences

Insomnia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Re: Sleep pills, supplements, and other sleeping aid experie

Postby Welsh_Tom » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:28 pm

Jatin wrote:
shrimp wrote:
Jatin wrote:FOR ME RELAXING AND RELIEVING STRESS BY NOT WORRYING ABOUT ANYTHING ( that includes not worrying about not getting enough sleep)
Was one biggest factor in solving my sleep related problem.

But how did you manage not to worry about anything? I'm honestly curious.
I mean, if you tell yourself 'I'm not worrying about sleep right now!' isn't that just worrying again? Because you're thinking about the problem?
It would be nice to stop worrying, so please share your secret ;)

What I did was first changed my thinking, I decided that it doesn't matter how much money I lost becoz of my ex N, how much money I wasted on drinking, sleeping medicines, how much debt I had,
And whether my sleep would make meats at work etc.

I watched many motivational videos of real life examples where people changed everything and has a great life. I thought regardless of what happened, I can eventually live a very good life again, and even at that time I had no big problems as I have a luxurious car, nice bed, nice house, even if renting.

So, I started to appreciate what I had and what I could have in the future.

This meant when I went to sleep, I didn't care whether I would be able to wake up at right time for work, my problem was usually it was very hArd for me to fall asleep, like it would be hours before I fall asleep but once sleeping the I would not be able to wake up, that meant being on bed for like 12 hours. Loss of so much productivity and at the same time not proper sleep.

So, when I thought no matter what happens, and at that time with the help of a sleeping pill and supplements I fell asleep like in15-20 mins. Then I started to skip sleeping pill only relying on supplements, then came a time when I started skipping supplements, and 5 mins of meditation before sleep works like magic for me.

This is the perfect example of how sleeping medications should be used. In all fairness the NICE guidelines in the UK state that medications for insomnia should only be used in the short term, at the lowest possible dose and intermittently, so to not create dependence.

I'm really glad that it's worked out for you. Your success demonstrates how important it is to use a range of strategies to other come insomnia. Medication is only one aspect of treatment.
Welsh_Tom
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:05 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby cyrus_the_virus » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:50 pm

I was able to use Temazepam for my insomnia and so far its working well.

Has anyone else had experiences with this?
cyrus_the_virus
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:05 pm

Postby Remember Ronni » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:29 pm

I had to smile at the amazon purchasing. I took that particular pill.....I don't think I have ever sleep walked but I have sent emails when I thought I was asleep. The recipients would forward them onto me and I had absolutely no idea I'd sent them. I also lit a cigarette and managed to set fire to my duvet - small flames kind of fire and yet I would never normally smoke in bed.

I tried 5 Htp but it's not very kind to my stomach and to be honest I didn't notice much of a change. I find magnesium does help that anxious restlessness you get when you can't sleep. Not sure it's actually aided my sleep though.

I've been taking Temazepam now for about 5 years. I am up to a 30 mg dose which I take with promethazine - usually 50 mg. Too much antihistamine makes me feel restless and irritable. But that combination usually means I get 7-8 hours sleep a night.

I do find that Temazepam also causes temporary amnesia in that you can forget things you've done once you've taken it. I do however seem to be able to stick to the no-purchase rule after I've taken my pills.

The doctors tell me that after this length of time my tolerance means the temazepam can't actually be helping me. One GP actually called me a junkie when I asked for a new prescription. In that I am now just feeding an addiction. Trouble is if I don't take them I can't sleep. And without sleep I don't function well at all.
Diagnosed with Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder (BPD)
Remember Ronni
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:05 am

Postby SinkOrSwim » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:12 pm

marijuana used to work great for that. But im so stressed and depressed that it stopped working, and nothing seems to work not even xanax or any kind of herb. Not 5-HTP, and not phenibut or whatever else i tried. It takes a long time to even get that tired feeling, and if i do i just wake up after 2,3,4 hours fully awake and energized. I feel like my body doesnt want to sleep it wants me to go figure out my problems.
SinkOrSwim
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:05 pm

Postby sleepanswers » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:47 pm

I took Ambien (Zolipedem) for several years and started having memory loss from it. I actually even sat through a whole movie and could not remember it.
sleepanswers
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:05 pm

Postby AdBenz » Thu May 22, 2014 3:38 am

I've been dealing with insomnia for a while now and about an hour and a half ago I took 2mg of Klonopin, 10mg of Melatonin, and 200mg of 5-HTP. I have experience with all three but haven't put them all together before in one gulp. Even though no single dose of any of the 3 was reckless by any means, I expected the combined effect to really hit me but right now I just kind of feel a heightened sense of relaxation and tranquility, which is not to be confused with sleepiness. I could easily stay up all night and that's after many nights of less sleep than I probably needed. Oh, and I also took 250mg of magnesium oxide which probably did nothing but I saw it mentioned as something that might facilitate sleep.

I don't know, I think I need an Ambien Rx or something right? I should also mention that my insomnia is characterized almost entirely by my inability to actually get to sleep, but once I'm down I'm down. I rarely have the problem of waking up a few hours later and then being unable to get back to sleep, as I know many insomnia sufferers deal with. I'm also reading that other prescription sleep aids like Rozerem or Sonata might work for someone with this condition.

Is anyone with similar sleeping problems taking something that I'm not and having success? Any advice or first-hand information would be great.
AdBenz
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:05 pm

Postby Welsh_Tom » Thu May 22, 2014 10:15 am

AdBenz wrote:I've been dealing with insomnia for a while now and about an hour and a half ago I took 2mg of Klonopin, 10mg of Melatonin, and 200mg of 5-HTP. I have experience with all three but haven't put them all together before in one gulp. Even though no single dose of any of the 3 was reckless by any means, I expected the combined effect to really hit me but right now I just kind of feel a heightened sense of relaxation and tranquility, which is not to be confused with sleepiness. I could easily stay up all night and that's after many nights of less sleep than I probably needed. Oh, and I also took 250mg of magnesium oxide which probably did nothing but I saw it mentioned as something that might facilitate sleep.

I don't know, I think I need an Ambien Rx or something right? I should also mention that my insomnia is characterized almost entirely by my inability to actually get to sleep, but once I'm down I'm down. I rarely have the problem of waking up a few hours later and then being unable to get back to sleep, as I know many insomnia sufferers deal with. I'm also reading that other prescription sleep aids like Rozerem or Sonata might work for someone with this condition.

Is anyone with similar sleeping problems taking something that I'm not and having success? Any advice or first-hand information would be great.

My sleep problem is the same as yours expect that I find it difficult to sleep because of my tics as well as a racing mind. Unfortunately, I haven't found a medication that helps consistently yet. Although, the types of medications that are tried on me (dopamine antagonists - antipsychotics - and dopamine agonists) would not be suitable in your case. I have taken many other medications (anti-histamines, trycyclic antidepressants, Zdrugs, Alpha2-adrenergic agonists, melatonin, SSRI etc.)

I did take clonazepam which initially put me to sleep easily but I built up a tolerance quickly (within a week or two) and it worsened my tics, rendering the medication useless. The consensus amongst a lot of doctors (especially my neurologist) is that benezos like clonazepam should only be used in the short term (two weeks) so it's almost pointless for long term sleep problems.

The only bit of advice I would offer is to stick to one medication and not to continue taking any medication that is not actually helping your sleep (of course you need to give medication time to work). This may sound obvious but you'll be surprised of how many people just take multiple medications that don't work and don't appreciate how this will effect them in the long term (I was one of these people!).

Have you tried Amitriptyline? This medication is usually easy to get prescribed, has minimal side effects and is pretty safe (compared to others). Also, the Z Drugs like Zolidem or Zopiclone could be worth a try.

One thing I've learnt is that it is important (at least for me) to combine medication with other approaches such a meditation -relaxation, sleep hygiene and properly winding down for bed at a regular time. I think it's unrealistic of us to think that a medication will solve, on its own, such a complex problem as sleep. I always remind myself that I must put in effort with other approaches to help me sleep rather than just being lazy and taking pills.

I hope you find a way forward. :)
Welsh_Tom
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby 8damien8 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:04 pm

I had a lot of stress hit me at the beginning of the year, and I ended up getting Zopiclone from my family doctor. Worst mistake I've ever made in my life!

I took it for 4 months, and then started to get tolerance withdrawal. I was super anxious, depressed, and had thoughts of suicide. It was terrible.

I had to cold turkey it on May 4, and was put onto Seroquel to help with the sleep. Now I hear it's extremely hard to get off the Seroquel, because of the rebound insomnia.

I am trying to find a way to get off this drug, and get back to normal. I hate the way meds make me feel, and if I can give one bit of advice to any of you... Don't look for your answer in pill form!

Look into Yoga, meditation, CBT... But do not look for a pill!

Trust me, I'm learning the hard way right now!
8damien8
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Re: Sleep pills, supplements, and other sleeping aid experiences

Postby highdimensionman » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:06 am

Every time my step bros been up for a few days and cant sleep I give him some silver needle white tea with a small pinch of tyrosine. This trick won't make him feel tired when he's not tired it just kills the stress stopping one from getting to sleep.
Pain can also be another problem in the way of sleep one thing that helps the brain deal with pain is argmatine I've never tried supplementing with this myself but I would say be careful even though it is a natural chemical synthesised in the body with essential amino acids.apparently a few mg can make a rat schizophrenic.
Diagnosis - Paranoid Schizophrenia
Medication - Aripiprazole injection every 4 weeks
Personal diagnosis - I will any which way or how overcome every effect of aripiprazole and override the poison and disrupted or not I will fill with hard work a niche in the market by myself at first and develop a useful business.
highdimensionman
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Blog: View Blog (250)

Re: Sleep pills, supplements, and other sleeping aid experiences

Postby Fit_girl28 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:34 pm

Hmmmm I am not an advocate for sleeping pills or any kind of medication. For long term use anyways. But I find they may be intended for short term but then u develop a notion that u cannot sleep without them so they trn into long term.

I have read (although have not tried) that CBT-I is the best for long term success. It entails the sleep restriction and stimulus control. I am curious to try it but definitely scared.

I am going to try EMDR, originally for PTSD but is now commonly used for other issues as well. After all laying in bed awake is pretty traumatic for us is it not? I have used EMDR to process a lot of my difficult memories and has worked wonders, I am hoping it will help me with this as well. Will let u know!

One thing that helped me in the past, to keep it from becoming chronic once it would start is distracting myself as much as possible all day from thoughts related to sleep. Forget about the hygiene cuz I slept fine before having coffee and watching tv before bed. Just live your life like u did prior to the insomnia, no matter how tired you are just do it. And eventually my body would go back to normal in a couple days.

I have taken zoplicone and I take trazodone ( although I don't think the traz does anything anymore). Zoplicone is an awful drug, I try not to take it more than a couple times a week because it makes me sluggish.

Sometimes Gravol works for me too but builds a tolerance fast.

Sweet dreams!
Fit_girl28
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:05 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Insomnia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post