Our partner

Restless hands

Impulse-Control Disorder NOS message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Restless hands

Postby Nul » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:58 am

Hello,
I'm not sure if this is the right board, but I read that this kind of behaviour is often linked to anxiety or OCD, so I chose this. Let me know if you think this thread belongs elsewhere.

Quick intro: I'm male, 30, and I was never diagnosed any disorder or health issue, nor I think I ever had one. I did and still do display some features of schizoid personality disorder, and I'm an INTJ according to MBTI. In life I'm a material scientist and work in a lab. I also sleep very little and I have some sleep apnea, so sleep deprivation may also be causing this (but I've always experienced some degree of restless hands way before this anyways).

This said, I often find my hands to be... restless. I always have to be doing something with them, I can't stay put. Some examples:
1) If I have any piece of paper in my hands, I'll start folding it in many possible shapes without even noticing. This happens very often with receipts. They just happen to be in my hands and I fold them over and over until they are destroyed.
2) If I have a pen in my hands, I either disassemble and reassemble it, or I doodle a lot (as in, I fill entire pages with stars or hexagons made of many triangles). This happens everywhere, even on top of important notes I was taking.
3) If I have a piece of metal or flexible material, I will abuse it until it's unusable. Paper clips get bent so many times that eventually they break, while rubberbands get entangled until they snap.
4) If I have a phone in my hands with a plastic cover, I keep taking the cover on and off. it's the clicking or "setting in place" that does the trick. If there is no protective cover, then I start doing that with the battery cover. I like the clicking. But this in turn made my old phone's battery cover so loose that it'd come off all the time.
5) If I left my beard grow unchecked, I'll start playing with it, twirling the hairs, playing with them and eventually "pulling". I don't actually rip them out, but if I find the odd long hair, I'll abuse it until it comes off. Same thing happen when I grow long hair (but without the pulling).
6) If I have a binder clip or other similar item with a spring or "locking" mechanism, I'll start using it on my fingers or hands. I'm unsure if this could be considered self-harm, as there is no lasting damage or scars or anything, nor I'm into that, but I did notice that I somewhat "enjoy" pinching my fingers between binder clips and feeling the pressure. If I have other tools like pliers, I like to apply pressure on my fingers. I don't go as far as causing myself pain, just far enough to feel that pressure or dull sensation.

To reiterate, more in general, if I have any "springy", elastic or flexible material in my hands, I will abuse the hell out of it. Be it springs, rubberbands, metals, papers or even switches (I'll click on/off until they stop working), my hands won't stop.

What is this phenomenon? Is it linked to anxiety or OCD or ADHD? Does it have an origin? Is there a need for concern (I don't think there is, but I'm curious if it can worsen and become extreme)? Did anyone else experience this before?
Nul
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:22 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Restless hands

Postby Snaga » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:10 pm

That sounds more like a fidgety thing in the ADHD sense, to me, than it does OCD. Although the beard thing might have a hint of trichotillomania/ to it? I don't have much in the way of eyebrows.....

Tell someone you love them today, for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also terrifying and confusing.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:22 pm

Re: Restless hands

Postby Snaga » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:11 pm

OCD involves obsessional fears and disturbing intrusive thoughts, and that doesn't seem to be in play here. Now, if some imagined Bad Thing is going to happen to you, if you don't fold that piece of paper up, or bend that metal in a certain way, for so many times (and if you mess up, well you'd have to start over, of course!), then we might be playing in the obsession compulsion sandbox.... but for now, it just seems as if you're pretty darn fidgety.

And I wouldn't count the pinching thing as self harm, unless you intended to cause damage, or needed the pain for self-punishment (at least initially) or to work out some kind of angst or something.

I'm OCD and a self-harmer, and so far, I'm only getting pretty innocuous vibes from your post, from an OCD perspective, as well as intentional self-harm. Now, getting into impulse control, things like skin-picking or hair-pulling, I could see that maybe becoming an issue, if you expand past what you've described. Well up into adulthood I used to be really bad at picking at my face, and like I said, I don't have much in the way of eyebrows.... completely unrelated to my self-harm, which usually consists of burning myself when extra angsty.

I think I'm gonna move this thread to Impulse-Control Disorder NOS, but I'm going to leave a shadow link in OCD, as well, so it can be seen there and followed over to the new forum.

Tell someone you love them today, for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also terrifying and confusing.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:22 pm

Return to Impulse-Control Disorder NOS