Our partner

Can you get over hypochondria?

Hypochondriasis message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Can you get over hypochondria?

Postby Anomalous Cluster » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:05 pm

I ask because I went through a time where every ache and pain, every pimple, every bad mood seemed to be evidence that something was seriously wrong with me. I worried endlessly about potential health problems. At times I hoped I would get diagnosed with cancer or something like it, because then at least I would know. All in all it was pretty bad, but then... it apparently stopped.

I think it had to do with studying things like the scientific method. Getting a more solid understanding of statistics.

My question is, is this something that could happen with hypochondria?
I don't believe everything I think.
Reality and fantasy are sometimes best kept separate.
Anomalous Cluster
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:09 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Can you get over hypochondria?

Postby Snaga » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:27 pm

Well....... If it stopped I wouldn't pick it apart, or look a gift house in the mouth. Just be grateful it stopped. They say knowledge is power.... Once in a while.... Knowledge and logic win out. The closest I can relate is, while I remain a very anxious person, in my 20s I would get agoraphobia and full blown panic attacks. Once I had heard of them and knew what was likely going on, they lessened and I learned to suppress them. Only hangup I ever beat but it sounds close to what you describe.

Sometimes we just grow out of something. Happy to hear that doesn't plague you any longer.

Tell someone you love them today, for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also terrifying and confusing.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:09 am

Postby Eva S » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:05 pm

Hi,

Instead of trying to cure something which is a part of the human condition, think about living with it in a way that can help you.

Find a balance; harness its cautionary benefits.

I'm glad to hear you're in a better frame of mind, but hypochondria isn't something that can be cured as such.

Regards
Eva S
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:09 pm

Postby Ada » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:52 pm

Eva S wrote:I'm glad to hear you're in a better frame of mind, but hypochondria isn't something that can be cured as such.

Welcome to the forum, Eva. :D It might be good to add "in my opinion" or "as I understand it" to the opinion above. We ask everyone to avoid giving diagnoses or medical opinions here. None of us are here in a professional capacity ;) So that makes it clear that it's just what you think.
We think too much and feel too little.
 More than machinery, we need humanity.
 More than cleverness, we need kindness and gentleness.

Charlie Chaplain in The Great Dictator
Ada
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:09 am
Blog: View Blog (35)

Postby Eva S » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:40 pm

Ada wrote:
Eva S wrote:I'm glad to hear you're in a better frame of mind, but hypochondria isn't something that can be cured as such.

Welcome to the forum, Eva. :D It might be good to add "in my opinion" or "as I understand it" to the opinion above. We ask everyone to avoid giving diagnoses or medical opinions here. None of us are here in a professional capacity ;) So that makes it clear that it's just what you think.

Sorry if I came across as arrogant... I know how annoying that can be. Even though I'm not here in a professional capacity, I am a medical professional who has specialized in hypochondria for over 20 years. I didn't want to parade my qualifications in order to take part in the forum, but I guess I reverted to speaking from my point of view as a medical professional.

The thing is it really isn't about my opinion. I have no interest in opinions, not even my own. I'm more concerned with learning about the underlying reality of conditions.

Sorry for not tempering my language. I guess anyone can make a mistake
Eva S
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:09 pm

Return to Hypochondriasis Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post