Our partner

Is my husband a hypochondriac?

Hypochondriasis message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Is my husband a hypochondriac?

Postby feelinghelpless » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:07 am

I am really struggling and don't know if my husband is a hypochrondriac. We have been married for 16 years and he has complained about his physical health on and off for much of the time. However, he has had a ruptured disc in his back that required surgery years ago. He is 42 now and feels like he is falling apart. He complains all the time about tendonitis and multiple aches and pains and claims he feels like he is "falling apart." Over the years, he has had heart palpitations, dizziness, GI distress, etc. He has had normal head CT, multiple normal complete cardiac work-ups, several normal GI studies, and still feels that there is something seriously wrong with him. He doesn't want to be a hypochrondriac.

He says that he doesn't fear illness, but that he first has symptoms and then fears what might be wrong. If the symtpoms come first, is it still hypochrondria if the symptoms are creating the anxiety? He feels very alone and I don't know how to support him. I have gone from being worried that something really was wrong with him and encouraging all of the medical tests (all normal) to listening patiently as he shares his daily symptoms and the fact that he is struggling with feeling like he is losing his mind. I just don't know what to do or think at this point. He is a good man and I know he is not losing his mind, but I don't know how to help him or what to say. I want to be sensitive, but at the same time I get tired of hearing about it all the time.

He says he just doesn't feel good. Is this hypochrondria or something else?
feelinghelpless

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Jer » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:30 am

He has an anxiety problem.
www.stresscenter.com
I have the same worries
Jer

Return to Hypochondriasis Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post