Our partner

I'm stuck with my mother and can't escape

Hypochondriasis message board, open discussion, and online support group.

I'm stuck with my mother and can't escape

Postby Iminneed » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:50 am

My mum is a hypochondriac, i'm 22 years old male and can barely leave the house because she's "too ill" she has been like this all my life, and she makes me feel guilty, i'm currently unemployed and suffer from anxiety/depression, she says I'm not well enough to work but I feel I am! She will not listen, she thinks my condition is too bad to work, but she makes my condition worse, I want to move on but she will not let me!!! Everytime I mention work she becomes all negative towards me and treats me horribly. I do everything for her cleaning, shopping (which I don't mind because I do love her) I think she also has Narcisstic personality disorder, she had a very difficult upbringing. She gets drunk and becomes abusive to me and her fiancé every once in a while (This is the main reason why she is ill) but she can't see it. She forces me to go to therapy and lies to me and tells me she will get therapy too, but she wont! I can't even move out because I don't have much work experience and I really don't know where to start!! I've tried move out and declare myself homeless but all the housing associations fail to help me, I feel like I'm living my life for her and she has a string attached to every bone of mine. My brother joined the army when he was 18 to escape from our mums cruel ways.

She kept me trapped in the house the majority of my childhood so I've become pretty isolated from the world anyway,

I see no way out, I spend my days running around for her, boosting her ego, because if I don't she will become bitter towards me and kick me out the house. What do I do? I've tried talking to her about the way she treats me, it's like I'm talking to a brick-wall, she is so self absorbed and doesn't consider how anybody else is feeling, she thinks the world revolves around her.. Any advice please?!
Iminneed
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:22 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: I'm stuck with my mother and can't escape

Postby Iminneed » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:05 pm

I know I need to get myself together and leave, I'm so emotionally unstable but I will try harder, I need to
Iminneed
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:22 pm

Re: I'm stuck with my mother and can't escape

Postby gracelight935 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:25 pm

I understand what it's like to feel trapped, hopeless... it is encouraging that you recognize your desire to move on to an independent life. That's exciting! What do you think you'd like to try doing with your life- for a career, a town to live in- do you have goals for yourself? I encourage you to write them down- keeping track of the progress you make toward your goals can be a great source of encouragement when you're feeling down. You said you're seeking help? Ask this person for advice and local resources on where to turn for job searches and new living arrangements. Keep focused on your goals and remember it takes time to achieve them- but never give up on them!
gracelight935
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:22 am

Return to Hypochondriasis Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post