Our partner

Feel Like I'm Losing My Mind :(

Hypochondriasis message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Feel Like I'm Losing My Mind :(

Postby Roger1994 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:20 pm

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and my brain hasn't been working very well lately so bare with me.

So my story begins back last summer, when I started to experience alot of stress. My drivers license was suspended, I started working two jobs for the first time (one of the jobs I had to be in at 4am), and then I started to be concerned that I may have Lyme disease. It's important to note that during this time I didn't feel particularly stressed.

I became very afraid that I had Lyme because my father has chronic Lyme Disease, and I can see just how horrible the disease can become. I often feel very bad for him and wish I could help.

Anyway, first I started to experience some jaw pain, which I hopped on Google to check out. First it said it was probably jaw clenching in my sleep, which is anxiety related. But since I didn't feel anxious, I kept looking and it turns out it was a symptom of Lyme. I got afraid and the more I looked into Lyme symptoms, the more i started experiencing symptoms consistent with Lyme. Muscle twitching, which I had for as long as I remember, started becoming more pronounced and frequent. Then there were heart palpitations, brain fog, and eventually depression.

My dad took me to his Lyme doctor who went over my symptoms with me and ran a detailed blood test. Everything came back fine and I was relieved for a while. Then I started to worry about M.S. and that's what set me off completely.

Today, I experience severe brain fog and constant 24/7 worry/anxiety about how maybe I could still have Lyme, or maybe I'm just losing my mind. I lost the ability to feel happy or excited or live in the moment. I feel completely detached from everyone and everything. The only thing I can really feel is anxiety and frustration.

I work out every day and eat healthy, and the only things that seem to have any effect on my symptoms are stimulants. Coffee has a mild effect on my brain fog, but not enough. The only thing I've tried that helps significantly was Vyvanse. This completely got rid of my brain fog, and even *gasp* made me feel happy. It did nothing for the anxiety though.

I've been going to a psychologist who is in the process of diagnosing me with something, but I'm in desperate need of immediate relief. Idk how much longer I can go on feeling like this :cry:

Thank you for reading this long, I appreciate any and all responses.
Roger1994
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:37 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Feel Like I'm Losing My Mind :(

Postby Ombree123 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:18 am

If you were losing your mind, you wouldn't even post about it here. I went through a very similar story, and now I know that this feeling of "losing my mind", "being crazy", "never going back to normal", is something called anxiety.

I wish I knew back then that it actually does go away.

So for an immediate relief, first I suggest breathing with your diaphragm for a few long breaths, that was a magical instant relief for me the first few times I did it.

Then I don't know if you get this thing where you start to argue with yourself on why you have or don't have a disease, but the best way I delt with them is to not even bother argue. All of this, IS anxiety. Even if it makes sense for you right now, the real issue is anxiety and you can learn to deal with it effectively, really fast.

I'm a programmer and the way I see my brain, is some kind of machine that generates a thought from some kind of thought recipe. Each thought have their own ingredients but they're all basically the same. So you can either recognize an anxious thought and decide to not fight it, like don't even try to push it away, just let it be in your brain harrassing you and like an annoying child, if you don't react too much they'll eventually go somewhere else. Or if you think you can change the ingredients to make it a none-anxious thought, go ahead but it takes practice to actually make that work, because other sneaky anxious thoughts will sabotage your work and bring more of their friends.

Anyway I'm just thinking outloud, I went from programmer to a cook but they are some great tips somewhere in that trust me :mrgreen:
Ombree123
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:37 am

Re: Feel Like I'm Losing My Mind :(

Postby Snaga » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:53 pm

Ombree123 wrote:So you can either recognize an anxious thought and decide to not fight it, like don't even try to push it away, just let it be in your brain harrassing you and like an annoying child, if you don't react too much they'll eventually go somewhere else. Or if you think you can change the ingredients to make it a none-anxious thought, go ahead but it takes practice to actually make that work, because other sneaky anxious thoughts will sabotage your work and bring more of their friends

Spoken like someone's who's been on the OCD train before....

What he said. If you lose your mind, you've lost it, you won't be here asking about it. Not IMO anyway. Been there, done that, still not crazy. Much.

Tell someone you love them today, for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also terrifying and confusing.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:37 pm

Return to Hypochondriasis Forum