Our partner

I have a fear that something is wrong with my mental health

Hypochondriasis message board, open discussion, and online support group.

I have a fear that something is wrong with my mental health

Postby loslolindsay » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:51 am

I am 19 years old and I cant stop thinking that there is something wrong with me both mentally and physically. I am always checking my pulse and heart rate and if it is going a bit fast somethings wrong, if it's at a normal rate somethings wrong because I am used to my heart going a bit fast. When I get a random pain I will automatically think the worst, I know it sounds stupid but there is always that "what if" there. I have went to my doctors and told them I think there is something wrong with my mental health but they just gave me a piece of paper with a number on it and told me to phone them. Of course I didn't because it took all my courage to go to them and say I think something is wrong.

I just need help! So I can live the life that I so badly crave.
loslolindsay
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:36 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: I have a fear that something is wrong with my mental hea

Postby Wisedude » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:52 pm

Fear of being mentally ill itself is actually a mental illness (phobia). So you DO have a serious mental disorder (phobia), these can be utterly life destroying.

I guess you could say you have a severe phobia.

Definitely sounds pretty bad your symptoms.

If you can't live your life well, I would try and get on Disability for it if I was you.

Go to a doctor, ask for medication. Medication may help, but you may need to be on up to several different medicines a day to get complete stability. Follow your doctors advice.

Just tell him the truth that you have an extreme phobia of getting a mental illness and want to get treated because it is having severe symptoms on your life.

Also I am worried about the physical symptoms you describe. I would get full tests to make sure it is not something serious.

Best wishes.
Wisedude
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Re: I have a fear that something is wrong with my mental health

Postby Ombree123 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:07 am

Just know that even if you feel and think that you might not ever be cured of that mental health anxiety phobia, I had the same think and it DID get better.

Honestly, even if Id read this comment a few months ago, I'd be thinking "what if its different for me" and come up with a bunch of arguments.

So guess what, you WILL get better, anxiety will come and go but you'll learn to handle it and it actually IS just an anxiety disorder. (Don't get scared about the disorder word tho, it is a disorder that is well treatable). And if you actually do have traits of another disorder and feel like its so "big" or "deep rooted" that you won't be able to survive it, I went in therapy for actual bad scary things that people say they're hard to treat and I honestly expected them to be harder to cure.

So if you're here, suffering of any illness thinking you might have, you are on the path of recovery.

Anyway, I hope I convinced you that you'll be fine, but if you still doubt about that, well its completely normal and part of anxiety.
Ombree123
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Hypochondriasis Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post